Bumblefoot in pregnant piggie

TX Rustlers

Post   » Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:54 pm

I know this has been discussed before - I have scanned through most of the discussions. We rescue piggies mainly from animal control and have just rescued our 1st really abused pig. Charlotte was rescued Monday and had an obvious case of ear mites, swollen + scabbed feet + an infected nipple. The cage which was dumped with her was not wire bottomed - we believe from the state of the cage that the foot problem probably developed from her toes nails ingrowing into the pads + urine scold.
The vet put her on Baytril + ear drops, + wrapped her feet for 48 hours we also gave her ivermectin + nose drops for the URI she broke with 24 hours later (possibly Pasteurella).
I am very interested in the pressure bandage method, but am not sure what this involves specifically and whether it would be appropriate in Charlotte´s situation.
Can anyone help?

Julia (WildRescue Inc)
Last edited by TX Rustlers on Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:58 pm

Poor girl! Sounds like she is in bad shape. Did you read the article on bumblefoot?
www.guinealynx.info/guinealynx/feet.html

I think the pressure bandage might be described on that page -- you enclose the entire foot, according to Pinta.

pinta

Post   » Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:39 pm

Yes, The entire foot including claws. Put the pressure, through slightly tighter winding, on the widest(most swollen) part of the foot. Don´t go too tight - just enough that her foot will feel snug.

Depending on the condition of the feet change every 1 to 3 days.

If foot gets damp - change. I run tape on the outside to protect from dampness.

TX Rustlers

Post   » Fri Jun 21, 2002 9:59 am

Thanks for the info - do you recommend any special type of bandaging material? I would like to use something that doesn´t stick to the scab pulling it off again.

pinta

Post   » Fri Jun 21, 2002 2:42 pm

Use an antibiotic ointment like BNP on the normal white guaze bandage. Cover that with the stretchy covering bandage. Don´t know the name but it is in drugstores. Vets have it in neon colours. It sticks to itself and provides a little more additional pressure depending on how tight you wrap it. Then cover the soles with adhesive tape. Use adhesive tape around the ankle to fasten it to the skin. You just have to catch a small amount of skin to keep it on.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:19 pm

Pinta, if you are ever wrapping a pig´s foot and can take one of your wonderful pics, I´ll stick it up with more details of how to do this on the bumblefoot page.
Last edited by Lynx on Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.