Help with GP age...

bats

Post   » Fri Jun 07, 2002 6:38 pm

Hi, Shaggy.

Regarding the storage tub -- if the sides are too tall compared to the floorspace, you may get a fishtank effect where air doesn´t circulate very well. Keep an eye on this. If it is a problem, you may want to switch to the c&c cages so highly touted on http://www.cavycages.com/

Finally, please think twice before breeding. Not only are there risks, you may run into some very expensive vet visits. Save your money for college (Yes, Mom)!

Other people will also remind you that there are already too many unwanted guinea pigs who really need a home... little furry things with big eyes and ears who want you to adopt them. I couldn´t agree more -- that´s why I have 2 rescues myself.

ShaggysGurl

Post   » Fri Jun 07, 2002 6:48 pm

Hi. I have one more question again, I´ve been looking at some pictures of rex (teddy) guinea pigs, and I´m not so sure that mine is one. Her coat doesn´t look the same. Also I´m not sure what color is on her face and what marking that is called. Can anyone tell me, and also reccomend a site that has coat colors, types, and genetics (genetics are a hobby of mine)? I don´t know if you can really tell, but her coat looks more like a lamb´s than the rex pictures I saw.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/shaggysgurl5 ... %26.view=t

Also I don´t know that you will be able to view her picture with that link, but if not tell me and I will e-mail it to anyone interested. thanks again!

Evangeline

Post   » Fri Jun 07, 2002 7:54 pm

There are already too many unwanted pets in the world. Why would you want to produce some more? Getting a second pig is a great idea, but you should really adopt a homeless one. And you should think of building a real cage. As it´s been said, aquariums and deep plastic bins are not suitable for pigs because they don´t allow air circulation.

I don´t know of any sites on genetics. I´ve learned a few things here and there, but since I´m against breeding, I haven´t researched genetics sites. If you want to look at a few breeds and varieties pictures, you could visit these pages:
http://www.meerschweinchen.de/pictures_e.html
http://www.oginet.com/Cavies/shows1.htm

If you want to email me pictures of your pig, I´ll try to help you figure out what she is. One thing I know is that she isn´t a Rex. She might be a Teddy, though.

MINNIE051202

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2002 10:32 am

It is possible that you have a runt. I had a runt before and she was very small, even as a 3-year-old.

Teresa

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2002 11:52 am

And you may want to take a look at this page about breeding before you decide to turn a pet into breeding stock: www.cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm.

There is a new and interesting quote there from the current president of the cavy breeder´s association (thanks to Josephine for sending me the issue).

And, on that subject, I now have 51 guinea pigs available for adoption (my all-time high), which includes 3 for sure and possible 6 pregnant sows, at my rescue. Rescues are busting at the seems all over the country. I can no longer accept any. If a shelter calls me today, I have to say no and they will put down.

ShaggysGurl

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2002 5:17 pm

I have already read the Cavy Spirit thing on breeding. I read it a few days ago. And I never said I was going to breed. I said if I did, it would be a long and hard decision to make. Now everyone keeps telling me to get a rescue pig instead of from a pet store... Well two points to consider: There isn´t a Guinea Pig rescue in my state (and I don´t have a car, which is why I have so much money). And two, what´s going to happen to the guinea in the store? Somebody´s gotta take him eventually... I can get another female for Vanessa to play with (I wouldn´t trust a vet around here to nueter a cavy), but this little guy is adorable! He´s black and white, with a little mohawk, and a little white swiggle through one of his eyes... And it would be great to have three guineas... I´m already in love with them!

Also NOT SAYING THAT I AM BREEDING OR THAT I HAVE EVEN CONSIDERED IT WITH GUINEA PIGS: I AM a responsible breeder, and do make sure all of my MICE get wonderful homes (I even make people sign a contract) and I have taken mice back because the people didn´t want them. And I do keep all of my mice until they can find good homes. But also, one of the managers of the pet stores loves my mice, and she does buy them and sell them under "pet only" circumstances. But she only takes certain ones that meet her criteria. Also with my contract my mice are sold under a "non breeding" policy and the contract is actionable. And I only sell male mice to the pet store to prevent them breeding, plus they come with the contract also.

Oh, I went out yesterday and got some Timothy Hay, some Guinea Pig pellets (Hartz, they also had Kaytee, and I didn´t know which was better), and some fresh Romaine Hearts (are those good?) Does all of this sound okay? Also the tub is shallow. I opted for a shallow tub with more floor space over one of those tall ones... I figured that would be better for the time being. Where can I find some of that, uh, Cloroplast and something else? Can´t remember what it was... Also it may be hard to find it here, I live in Mississippi, the most rodent illerate state in the US... I have heard Guinea Pigs called Hamsters, Gerbils, and Rats.

A good story for Guinea Pig lovers: I was supposed to be "pig sitting" last year for my neighbor. Well, I hadn´t been home when my neighbors were going out of town, so they left Taz (the cavy) with my 27 year old sister (who lives one house down from me). Well, my two year old neice was there, and she is a true animal lover. She was trying to feed Taz a potato chip, and my sister came in and says "Laura! Don´t give that chip to that gerbil!" In which my very knowledgeable neice responds: "Mommy, it is not a germ, it is a puppy!"

Okay... thanks again!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2002 5:59 pm

I like Kaytee better than Hartz. I think Hartz has animal byproducts in it -- not a good idea. Kaytee also uses a stabilized vitamin C.

bats

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2002 7:15 pm

Hi again, Shaggy.

Sign shops usually carry Coroplast.
Runs anywhere from $18-30 for a 4x8 sheet.
See http://www.cavycages.com/cubes.htm

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2002 7:41 pm

thought I would sneak in and add my weight charts for my babies born on March 1st. Both are americans.

Oreo:(she´s my current avatar)
3/1/02 : 4 ounces
4/4/02 : 14 ounces
5/4/02 : 1 pound 3 ounces
6/3/02 : 1 pound 12 ounces

Jillian:
3/1/02 : 4 ounces
4/4/02 : 13 ounces
5/4/02 : 1 pound 3 ounces
6/3/02 : 1 pound 7 ounces
Last edited by Erin8607 on Sat Jun 08, 2002 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pozone

Post   » Sun Jun 09, 2002 5:32 pm

I think it´s good at least to know what options are out there, besides pet stores, regardless of what route you end up going. I didn´t know what other options there were when we got our pigs (two years ago), and while I´d never trade our guys, I´d definitely consider other sources before I went the pet store way again. There may not be a rescue as such near you, but it might be worth calling around to animal shelters and checking the want ads for a week or so before making your final decision -- you never know what you might turn up. You´d have a little extra time to get to know your first new piggy and let her settle in, and as you´d need to quarantine any new addition for 3 weeks anyway, to prevent the spread of infection (yes, even if they came from the same place, I´d do it anyway, just to be on the safe side), it´s not as though you´d be depriving her of the roommate she could have tomorrow, if you see what I mean.

I don´t really want to go into all the pros and cons of buying from pet stores -- somehow these discussions always escalate into ugly fights, for which I have no energy! But I think it´s better to wait and consider things a bit -- like do you have space for three guinea pigs of mixed genders, meaning a separate cage for the boar, who will then be on his own without a cagemate, so will you get him a same-sex buddy, and on and on? The world is full of irresistible guinea pigs -- I defy anyone to show me an un-cute guinea pig (and I have one who´s pretty funny-looking -- funny-looking does not count as un-cute) -- so if you pass up the one who´s currently in the shop window, that does not mean you´re passing up "Miss Piggy Right" and have lost out forever.

All that to say, regardless of where your next pig comes from, I think it´s wise not to be in too big a hurry to acquire more, but to be sure of how many more you can deal with (space, vet bills, pig-living-expenses, time and attention you can devote) before you act. I´d love to have a big ol´ herd, but realistically, I have to stop at two for the time being, so I´ve gotten very good at passing up those piggies in the window, however adorable they are. . . . It´s painful to think what kinds of homes they may go to, but in reality my responsibility is to provide the best home I can to the two I already have. Anyway, good luck with your search, and with the cage-building. And I loved your niece story -- a lot of these little rodenty guys are oddly dog-like. (And my mother-in-law, in Memphis, refers to our guinea pigs as "those things y´all have . . . ," like there just ISN´T any kind of species name for this type of life form).