Possible Seizure?

Cheyanneh

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:58 pm

I have a 6 yr old male. Yesterday night, he was eating his hay, digging a hole in it and perfectly fine. All of a sudden I hear this frantic scrambling, I run over to his cage and see him on his side, mouth open, convulsion almost. It looked like he was being electrocuted just to give an image of what I mean. I grab him out of him cage and hold him to me because at this point, I think he is dying and there isn't anything to do except hold him.

I sit down with him and he is almost stiff in my arms and body is not flexible. He starts to convulse again and I notice his eyes rolling (like when they sleep and the eye goes back and forth).

After a few seconds, it stops and I check his heart- it is still beating and he is breathing.
I put him down on the floor and he acts COMPLETELY normal as if nothing happened...he goes to his sisters cage door and sniffs around, walks around as if nothing.
I monitor him for the next 2 hours. He poops and pees regularly. He lays down on his blanket with me (which is normal) and he seems fine. Throughout the night, he drank normally, ate and poop/peed.
He is running around as normal, balance is fine, absolutely no sign of what happened previously.
I am so confused and frustrated...I don't know what this could be and I'm scared for it to happen again because it looked very violent. I looked it up and it said seizures were rare...so I don't know what to make of this.
Does anyone have any experience with something similar?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:07 pm

It sounds like he had a seizure. I would monitor him closely and see a vet if you notice any other signs of illness or if he has another seizure.

GPIG

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:56 pm

Seizures are a very scary thing to witness. They do appear violent and painful. The good news is the seizure itself is not painful to the animal having the seizure and they retain no knowledge of having had the seizure other than something odd and very tiring happened. However, injury can occur from the violent convulsing by hitting themselves on something hard or the contorting of body can cause muscle or ligament injuries.

There are some external reasons for seizures such as mites and painful skin conditions but if you can rule those out there probably isn't much you can do other than make him comfortable and take precautions if he has another. Make sure his cage doesn't have hard areas he can hurt himself on. As Lynx, said monitor him, make sure he continues his normal habits but if has more check with a vet.

It is hard to do but a good idea to try to time how long the seizure lasted. Also when monitoring him try to notice if there are any other things he's doing like jerking parts of his body. Some types of seizures last only for a second or less but it is good for a vet to know if they are occurring.

3 posts • Page 1 of 1