Casey-stone in urethra

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:24 am

The second day after surgery is worse than the first day. I'd expect her to start improving about 48 hours after surgery, and only get concerned if she doesn't. Or if she gets a lot worse during that time, obviously.

egustavson

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:01 pm

She is on metacam and TMS in addition to Cisapride.

Casey’s weight dropped to 1588g and she was becoming more resistant to having a syringe in her face. She was only eating about 5g of pellets overnight and a little hay. Sometimes she would eat fresh greens but other times it would sit in her cage, wilting. She wasn’t drinking much either. Her “output” was looking more normal which was encouraging but not enough to make me feel confident. Dr. N ageed to see her at the end of the day yesterday (he had a busy surgery schedule).

Yesterday morning, she “turned the corner”. During the night, I awakened and could hear her drinking. In the morning, her water bottle was about 1/3 empty, her weight was up 20g, she had eaten 20g of pellets overnight and she ate all the fresh food I offered. Her weight is up another 40g today.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:05 pm

I hope she continues to eat well!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:36 am

Sounds like she's over the hump. Go Casey!

egustavson

Post   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:01 pm

Casey has a new problem. I noticed a brown “stain” on her rump. When I examined her more closely, I noticed that the fur is thin in the area and there is a small,hard, “projection”—almost like a pimple. She did not squeal while I was examining her. A picture would help, but I have to figure out how to post one.

Dr. Nakamura does not have any appointments until after Thanksgiving, nor do any of the other vets at Adobe who see Guinea pigs. I can either take her to another vet—i have one in SF who has seen her—or take her for urgent care, or wait.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:40 pm

I wouldn't take her to urgent care -- those vets are often moonlighting from other practices and may be totally unfamiliar with guinea pigs.

If it's not bothering her, I'd probably wait on a vet I was comfortable with. If it is, then I'd try the other vet who has seen her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:53 pm

If you have a clear crisp photo, you can send it to me. Including your board name and a link to this post is helpful.

I encourage you to look over lumps.html if you haven't done so already.

It could be something like a wart or skin tag if it is small. Does it seem crusty?

egustavson

Post   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:12 pm

I will send a photo. Casey is my first Guinea pig with light colred fur on her rump. I have had her for 4 years and never noticed dirty looking fur in this area before. The dirty fur may be from her grease gland, but I don’t know what the “pimple” is. None of the pictures of grease glands show enough detail.

Adobe is an urgent care hospital and I was advised to call ahead to make sure a Guinea pig vet was available. I assumed they use their own veterinary staff for urgent care, but that may not be the case. Thank you, bpatters. For alerting me to the possibility that it may not be.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:26 pm

I do encourage you to treat this like a dirty grease gland. Be really gentle. Apply some cold pressed coconut oil to soften it. Is the pink lump what you are referring to?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:20 am

I was not quite sure what you were referring to. You answered by email:
I am referring to the smooth, pinkish oval below the dirty-looking brown for in the
center of the photo. There is blond fur on either side of it. It is directly below where I think the grease gland is-or maybe it is the gland? It feels very firm and is not crusty at all.
I answered by email:
I take it this is not part of her private parts at all?

I am pretty sure you would not make that mistake (you've had guinea pigs for a long time). After cleaning the area (a general butt soak should help), I would look for any signs of infection.
The cleaning and soaking should help you see what is going on. If you can safely clip back some of the hair, that would help too.

If no signs of infection, my guess is a wart of some sort. It does not look like a plugged duct.

egustavson

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:27 pm

I cleaned the area with coconut oil. A little bit of fur that was coated with grease came off. She was not very dirty at all—she may have groomed herself. I think the pinkish lump is the end of her spine or tailbone.

Casey has had alot stresses in her life in the last few months, beginning with her surgery. I won’t go into all the details now, but I think I am hypersensitive to anything that seems different.

Thank you for your support.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:14 pm

Ah, that is possible (the tail bone idea). There are a few guinea pigs with prominent ones. I recall pigjes mentioning one guinea pig she had that could wiggle it. Not a tail but tail-like. It sounds like you can feel along the spine and it ends with the pink lump?

That it is possibly not a medical issue is certainly a good thing.