Fuzzbutt's Medical

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri May 25, 2018 9:37 am

It is the dehydration that really worries me.

I do have 2 more guinea pigs who produce "normal" poops. I've not tried the poop soup or the bio-sponge yet.

How much of the bio-sponge does a guinea pig get?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 25, 2018 9:39 am

There are details on the amount to give on the diarrhea page (bottom of page):
https://www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html
Dosage information received via email from Allyson at Platinum Performance, Inc. who consulted their staff nutritionist:

Guinea Pigs 600-900 grams administer between 0.4cc-0.6cc total daily, split into 2-4 feedings.
Guinea Pigs 950-1400 grams administer between 0.7cc-1.0cc total daily, split into 2-4 feedings.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri May 25, 2018 9:51 am

Thanks, Lynx.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:57 am

Took Fuzz back to vet due to her poops becoming increasingly more runny.

ImageFuzzbutt's over night area, or one of them. after less than 18 hours.

We tried the Metronidazole (with little change), but not tried the poop soup or bio-sponge yet. I know I've seen it in the forums many times but can't remember where: How do I mix the poop soup? Our credit card number was stolen so I can't order the bio-sponge until the new one arrives.

Dr K has now suggested changing her pellets from KMS to Mazuri to see if that makes a difference. Fuzz continues to lose weight.

On the upside, she has only one tiny spot of fungus left on her right flank. Hallelujah!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:28 pm

Just mash up a pellet from a healthy pig in some water and syringe it to her. Or mix it in some critical care if she'll eat that.

A cecal poop from another pig is best, but good luck on getting one of those! You'll have to dig it out of the pig. A fresh fecal pellet will also work.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:22 pm

Sending good thoughts to you and Fuzzbutt! I know this is frustrating for you.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:59 am

Keeping you both in our prayers. Hoping all goes well! You both have gone through so much! Big hugs!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:21 pm

I started Fuzz on the Bio-Sponge yesterday morning. Astoundingly, she had a very "clean" night last night!

How long do I keep her on it? This isn't like a permanent thing, correct? How long does she stay on it, and for what duration?

P.S. Mr. had the bright idea of smearing a small amount (1057 gram pig) on a piece of lettuce, and we hoped she'd eat that. Wonder of wonders, she did! So, she'll get this amount smeared on a piece of lettuce twice a day. We think this actually works out to a VERY small amount, twice a day. No promises on the actual amount, this is just my best guesstimate. Using this much will not overdose her.

ImageBio-Sponge for Fuzz 6.20.18

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:43 pm

I also ordered Oasis Vita Drops (high potency daily multivitamins) per our vet. I know I'm not supposed to put it in the water, so I thought I'd just sprinkle some on their pellets. Thoughts? At the time, the pigs were only getting lettuce for a veggy. This last week though, I've added back in all the usual "suspects" - tomato, bell pepper, carrots, and the (very seldom) kale. Should I not bother with the vitamins now?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:24 pm

So glad you saw improvement! I hope it continues! I would contact them about your questions. That's where I got the dose information. It may be that you can taper it or maintain at a lower dose (don't know). Or you may be able to quit altogether. You will know if it is working or not.

I believe the most important ingredient is bentonite (could be wrong). Bentonite is cool as it absorbs liquids and has many uses.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:37 am

So glad she had a clean night. Paws crossed it will continue. Hugs to fuzzy from me and the down under girls. Keep up the good work and Fuzzy eat your medicine like a good girl. So glad she likes lettuce!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:20 pm

Hahahaha! Naturally last night she refused to eat all of the lettuce/Bio-Sponge. We think feeding it to her when she's hungry might make the difference. Last night was *after* dinner. We'll try again later this morning with the AM dosage.