cancer? tumor? HELP!

little scooter

Post   » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:11 pm

I have a guinea pig who is 3 1/2 years old he has been healthy all his life but since a month or two ago he's had really smelly poops, which now I'm wondering could be a sign of infection in the intestine?

He has lost muscle in his hips, it just feels like bones, he's not eating much now. Yesterday I had to cut up his carrot into small piece so he could eat it, it looked like he was chewing on leather otherwise. His teeth are perfectly healthy though! Now he will almost eat nothing not carrot or grape (which I gave him yesterday with no problem) he hasn't lost any weight in the last two days but I'm really worried!!!

I'm trying to remain optimistic about this and so is my vet, but the word cancer keeps appearing in my head. My vet has checked his teeth twice and says they are perfectly healthy and does not see any sign of infection, he's still lively and runs around if I try to pick him up (which he hates lol) I don't know what to think... I'm afraid of losing my little scooter... please If you have any questions or advice don't hesitate!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:10 pm

Well, cancer wouldn't be the first thing I'd think of with those symptoms, although it would take some diagnostic tests to rule it in or out.

How much weight has he actually lost? You are weighing him regularly, I hope.

Has he had any sort of medication for an intestinal problem?

Have you given him any probiotics, or poop soup from a healthy pig?

How did the vet examine his teeth? Has he had skull x-rays to check for elongated tooth roots or a tooth abscess? A visual examination won't show either of those.

Is this an exotic vet, or a small animal vet? Small animal means dogs and cats, not exotic pets, and those vets are trained to care for exotics.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:23 pm

Ditto on all bpatters questions.

If you haven't read these pages, do so:
handfeeding.html
weigh.html
malocclusion.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:43 pm

Oops, I meant to say, small animal vets are NOT trained to treat exotics.

little scooter

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:29 pm

bpatters I have to admit I have not weight him on a regular basis, right now he weights 2lb 11oz.

He is not on medication, like I said he's always been happy and healthy.

I am giving him Bene Bac probiotics, I just sprinkle it on his apple slice and he eats it.

The vet did a visual examination, but he doesn't seem to have any pain in his teeth if you touch them or gently push on them he doesn't mind.

I've also noticed that last night he made cooing sounds kind of like a pigeon then it would get louder followed by a loud hacking sound and then he would chew on something in his mouth and then the sound would stop for a while. It seemed to me that this sound was made while he breaths, could this be URI? he has no nasal discharge.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:42 pm

Weighing him regularly is the absolute best way to know whether anything serious is going on with him. Particularly while he's ill, you should weigh daily.

A visual exam tells you nothing about the jaw. It may or may not tell you whether the teeth are overgrown, depending on how cooperative the pig is. The very first thing I'd want done is skull x-rays, top and side views, so you can see if there are any abscesses or elongated roots.

The sound you describe sounds like he's got something in his mouth or throat, is hacking it up ad then eating it again.

I'd bet a lot on the problem being his teeth, and you need a good exotic vet to take a look at him.

little scooter

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:10 pm

bpatters I agree its probably his mouth because now his chin is always wet!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:13 pm

Well, get him seen by an exotic vet with some experience in rodent dentistry. The quicker you do it, the cheaper it is and the easier on the pig.

little scooter

Post   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:33 pm

bpatters now he wont eat at all, he's stop eating since yesterday. He's only eaten a few kibbles and drank some water. I don't think there is much I can do... sometimes he hops could it be scurvy?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:36 pm

You MUST see a vet.

As I wrote above, If you haven't read these pages, do so:
www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html
www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html
www.guinealynx.info/malocclusion.html

You MUST hand feed if your guinea pig is not eating (if there is no blockage).

little scooter

Post   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:43 pm

lynx how do I force feed him? what do I feed him?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:56 pm

Read the hand feeding link. That's why I posted it.