Eye Tearing and Hair Loss

GuineapigM

Post   » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:40 pm

Hello,

I have a four year old female guinea pig. I noticed the other day some tearing, but I wasn't too concerned. Then I noticed two days later that there was a patch where fur was missing near her tear duct. The area started to heal and the fur regrew back pretty quick. But now, the patch seems to be back. I'm not seeing a ton of tearing through, and she isn't scratching the area. Eating/drinking/ and defecating have all been normal. No scabbing/sores under the eyes, not sneezing, coughing or running nose either. Any ideas on the cause? Of course I'm think of taking her to the vet tomorrow...thank you.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:35 pm

It's probably a fungal infection, and unfortunately, you will need to see a vet for it because it's so close to the eye. There's nothing available over the counter that I know of that can be used in or on the eyes.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:47 pm

I was thinking fungal too. The tearing could be involved - has it returned? It may be a cause or contributor to the hair loss.

GuineapigM

Post   » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:15 pm

Good evening,

It cleared up but then returned a few days later. There is no crusting or scabbing around the eye, but I think you're right about it being a fungal infection. I've made an appointment for tomorrow. But just so I know what to expect, is it a cream/salve that needs to be applied? How is the medication typically administered for this?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:41 pm

I am guessing it would be an ointment safe for use near the eye.

GuineapigM

Post   » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:51 pm

The vet perscibed eye drops and believes it is a mild eye infection but not fungal. Eye looks a little better but the fur is not regrowing. Eye drops were administered three times s day, one drop in the eye the other in the corner on the patch. The last day of eye drops is tomorrow. I'm hoping this solved the concern...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:58 pm

Is the eye watering? Do you have a picture?

GuineapigM

Post   » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:53 pm

I took some pictures, how do I post them on here? I can't seem to figure it out. Sorry...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:04 pm

You can mail them to me. I will put them up in the morning. I'll send you an email through the mailer so you have my address.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:29 am

Here is your clearest picture:

GuineapigM

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:06 am

You can see in the corner a small furless patch is still there. Smaller than it was I just hope it stays healed this time. Last time it was back again after a week. But that was pre-eye drops. Eyes a little glassy but not watery, wouldn't you say?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:39 pm

What I can see looks pretty good. You are in the best position to see the eyes.