COVID-19

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:09 am

I never thought of that - get a face shield and look like fashion Barbie! That collarbone though - I really think a sandwich and a glass of milk would do her some good.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:19 am

ItsaZoo, haha!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:22 am

She has such tiny ears! I sometimes forget how our ears keep growing as we get older. In 20 or so years I will look like Dumbo :-)

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:00 pm

My mom always said ears keep growing. I wondered about that, but maybe that's why, along with thinning hair, my right ear pokes through my hair. It never used to do that.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:08 pm

I knew men's ears and noses kept growing, but not women's. No change in mine.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:15 pm

The Guardian has a super short article about how both men's and women's ears get bigger as they age (men's ears tend to be larger). Noses too! The writer referred to a couple of studies. This is an article from 2013:

Big ears: they really do grow as we age
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2013/jul/17/big-ears-grow-as-we-age

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:24 am

It seems most everything gets larger as we get older - with the exception of our bladders!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:12 am

No kidding!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:30 am

Oh dear. Better not start that subject. I'll be going on all day.

My mom also thought noses got bigger. She'd be happy to see that article! I thought it had to do with the face sagging and loosing its fullness making the nose appear more prominent. Either way - :-(.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:51 am

Coronavirus herd immunity may be 'unachievable' after study suggests antibodies disappear after weeks in some people
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-antibodies-study-herd-immunity-unachievable-spain-2020-7

I ran across this via Daily Kos. Very discouraging. Quoted:
  • A major new study in one of Europe's worst affected countries for the coronavirus finds no evidence of widespread immunity to the virus developing.
  • Just 5% of Spaniards were detected to have antibodies to the virus.
  • Fourteen percent of people who previously tested positive for antibodies tested negative just weeks later.
  • The study suggests people who experience mild symptoms do not have long-lasting protection.
  • "Immunity can be incomplete, it can be transitory, it can last for just a short time and then disappear," Raquel Yotti, the director of Spain's Carlos III Health Institute, said.
  • Another scientist involved said: "In light of these findings, any proposed approach to achieve herd immunity through natural infection is not only highly unethical, but also unachievable."

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:31 am

Oh my word, Lynx. That is discouraging indeed. I will try to find the full article and send to a friend of mine. Her sister is a huge proponent of the whole "herd immunity" nonsense, as are a lot of people around here. Folks need to be aware that it's a very bad idea to think this can be achieved.

I'm wondering if that is what's going on with Chris Cuomo, who was infected earlier this year. He had a fairly difficult case of it, and has alluded to things going on in his body that suggest he might "end up in the basement again soon." Troubling.

There is so much we still don't know about this virus, and much of what we do know is not very positive. I'm hearing many cases of people having long-term problems, particularly neurological issues. Sometimes the neurological issues don't show up until weeks or months later.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:38 pm

I was wondering about Chris Cuomo too. There does seem to be long term, possibly permanent damage in some people. Also I've read accounts of people who have had it for several (4) months, but still haven't fully recovered.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/06/ive-been-ill-f ... -is-covid-19

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:30 am

It took me a while to read the whole thing. A pretty painful experience for him and not over. Sounds like something else was going on early and he may (or may not) have gotten it later. The "ground glass opacity" sounds awfully scary (typical of Covid19, likely what he has).

It sounds like Covid19 has been badly mishandled in the UK. We haven't learned.

So tragic that so many people here do not take it seriously. Discovered recently one neighbor diagnosed with it - potentially exposed other neighbors watching the fireworks a week ago. If someone is coughing, run away!

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:35 am

I read through it, too. So frustrating that it took so long for this guy to finally have some validation that what he was experiencing was real and very likely Covid. You have to wonder how many hundreds or thousands of times that same scenario has played out over the past several months.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:19 pm

How awful to keep telling medical staff that you know something is wrong and just keep getting the run around. Medical staff are exhausted. But if they don’t do a thorough work up the first few times a patient comes in, they end up with that patient multiple times which just makes the line of patients that much longer.

And Boris Johnson doesn’t strike me as a bright boy.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:45 pm

My FIL had to go to the ER today for blood pressure problems. He's 91. I'm terrified he'll catch COVID there. We are currently waiting to see what my SIL's test results are. She's a teacher. Neighbor emailed Mr. RS to poll him on the draft options for our district. Mr. is firmly in the distance learning camp. I also can't see the benefit of Junior being in class 2 days a week for 85 minutes per subject. I think she'd do less worse at home. It's not like she'd be able to share a camera or sit close to a classmate to work on movie editing even if they were in the same classroom. Little kids aren't even supposed to share scissors and glue. The non-immunity thing makes me very worried for Thing 1. We thought at least he'd be less likely to get it again, but I saw a report that a second infection could actually be worse, like dengue fever.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:06 pm

Yes, I read that too. Some criticism of the study though as it has not been reviewed.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:47 am

The immunity issues are scary and I think comparing it to the flu was a mistake. What I’m reading now is it’s more like HIV in the way it spreads in the body.

Tomorrow my MIL is having a birthday party for her 2 daughters. One turned 60 in May, the other turns 70 tomorrow. There will be 9 people total if everyone shows up. The older daughter Is in bad health and can’t get around so everyone is supposed to go to her apartment. I already told Mr. ItsaZoo that I’m not going unless they plan to sit outside. All the in-laws are vulnerable with chronic health issues and/or they are over 60 so MIL came up with this goofy idea. I understand she’s lonely but this isn’t a good idea in my opinion.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:27 am

Ditto!

Nothing has changed. Nothing significant. Except we know more and it isn't good. A couple things to help with recovery but no vaccine any time soon.

Crazy4me

Post   » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:40 pm

Indeed this virus is scary! But what is equally scary and very alarming is other people's behavior! Here in Wisconsin the cases are going up, including the city where Jan and I both live and positive cases will likely rise here because they just had a free COVID testing site in town on Saturday. One of the residents that live here in Jan 's complex told me a distant relative of hers tested positive for COVID (this relative attends bar in town here). I would think that contact tracing might be near impossible especially if patrons paid with cash. Plus how do you know when you are exposed when you interact with the general public daily? And then some don't cooperate with responding to contact tracer calls.

I am all in favor of masks, and closure of bars/restaurants or just outdoor seating availability at restaurants. But here in Wisconsin since the Wisconsin Supreme Court struck down our governor stay at home extension, he feels that he can't do anything to stop the spread of this virus.

And if I had a school aged child, I would not be sending my kid to school in the fall.

373 posts