COVID-19

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:15 pm

Recent recommendations call for everyone to wear masks, with cloth (cotton preferably) being the choice. They are also being donated to hospitals who may use them in a pinch or to extend the use of the official PPEs (personal protective equipment).

Just listened to Science Friday, a person who started an organization to coordinate volunteer sewers and hospitals requesting masks has a website to do so:
https://www.getppe.org/

So you can donate or make one for yourself, neighbors, or loved ones using the patterns from that site. These might also be helpful:
https://millionmaskschallenge.com/
https://www.millionmasksaday.com/

From an NPR article, I got linked to a couple patterns with a video for making masks.
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/04/03/8269961 ... -to-wear-one

John Hopkins pattern:
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/_documents/INF20 ... ctions-1.pdf

Kaiser Permanente pattern:
https://about.kaiserpermanente.org/content/dam/internet/kp/c ... tions_v9.pdf

Directions for this one:

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:10 pm

Getppe.org is one of the websites I checked last week and that’s when I got discouraged. The Minnesota locations are major hospitals and clinics in the metro area. However, I’m at least 90 minutes from the nearest collection site and the masks must be dropped off and not shipped.

We have one hospital in our area that owns most of the clinics as well as our largest long-term care facility. They won’t accept homemade masks.

Maybe I’ll make some for husband and I in case we need them.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:38 pm

ItsaZoo, they are flying off the "shelf" on Etsy.com. That might be a good avenue for you. I just bought several masks from a lady about 70 miles from here who has a listing on that site. She's doing 3-ply masks that have some sort of filtery-looking middle layer. They are a little pricey but appear to be very well-made. I spoke with her over the phone, and she had spent quite a bit of time researching the best way to create these. Originally made aprons and other hand-sewn items, but she started making the masks for her family when this whole thing erupted. Her family suggested that she try selling some of them online, and she said they are quickly becoming very in-demand by the general public.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:12 pm

She’s probably lining them with non-woven interfacing. That was recommended on one of the sites. It’s lightweight but adds stability and would be a good vapor barrier.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:26 pm

That sounds right.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:32 pm

I started listening to This American Life. Got through the EMS guy, cried a bit about the sacrifices being made by healthcare workers. I mean they're the soldiers in this war. Then started the next story & had to stop 'cause I just get too scared when I hear about the experience of having the virus.

I'd seen that video for hand-washing protocols with dancing. Cute & informative.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:47 pm

The true heros. Doctors, nurses, EMS, firemen, police. They are putting their lives on the line every single day to do this nightmarish job. Some are being stretched to the limits of human endurance. This image of a nurse at her desk, collapsed from fatigue, came out today:

Trump should get his worthless ass down to these hospitals and see the physical and emotional toll this is taking on not just the victims and their families but also the healthcare professionals who trying to do their jobs with little or no relief and shockingly inadequate PPE.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:34 am

This mask is more complicated than I felt like making, but it's quite impressive and comprehensive: https://diymask.site/

I am finding that one size does not really fit all and have tried several different patterns to send out to friends that I know don't sew.

wow - never thought to look at face masks on Etsy. Nuts. But it's given me some ideas how to modify my design if I end up making more.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:42 am

When you come up with your favorite mask, post it. Not sure for me where to start. I actually have (from my local Habitat for Humanity) a nice mask which I am using when doing sheet rock work, removing mortar, and other dusty things right now. It fits pretty well and does take a variety of filters.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:08 am

I wonder if any of these fabrics could be sewn into masks. They seem a little pricey, though? --
Guinea Pig Fabrics on eBay

I didn't take time to read about the thread count on any of them.

Looks like the Spoonflower site gives you an option to order in different sizes:
Guinea Pigs & Apples (green)
Guinea Pigs & Apples (blue)
That particular design is also available in yellow and pink.
Last edited by Sef on Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:17 am

Sef, those are individually printed, and you get to pick the material. But there's no plain cotton option.

Sheets make good masks, as do t-shirts.

Masks don't come in one-size-fits-all. They don't work well if they're too large or too small. I've been making three sizes -- small, medium and large.

Here's my favorite mask, with complete instructions: https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:25 am

Not sure what you mean by "no plain cotton option." The description on Spoonflower says:
42" wide, 4.3oz per sq yard
100% natural cotton fabric

I do see where the fabrics are made-to-order, however.

The masks I ordered from the seller on Etsy are available in S, M, L, have 3 layers and an inner 'filter.'

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:51 am

Those are nice, bpatters. It makes me sad to think these were needed for her due to air pollution which is a continuing problem in many areas.
Besides limiting the outdoor activities and switch on air purifiers at home, my BFF and I urgently needed the face mask for our kids to wear. Like most kids nowadays, they have weak lungs and vulnerable respiratory system, the haze will impact a lot on their health condition.
Most of my old sheets are a polyester/cotton blend so probably wouldn't work. I have a lot of old tshirts though.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:32 am

bpatters - through trial and error, that's basically the design I want to try next. So thanks for sharing that link! I allows for a non-woven filter, but can be worn as is, too. I like the elastics, which are sewn in. But my latest design also had channels up the side so that if the person that gets it finds that the elastics don't work, they can run a cord through it and still be able to use it.

I heard of someone using the metal off the top of a coffee bag. We have several of those. They're fairly stiff. The plastic-coated ones I sewed right in, but I like that channel design to be able to remove them to throw the mask in the wash. It's extra work, but since I'm not mass producing these, I don't mind putting in the extra time and effort.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:56 am

My admittedly small and informal survey of healthcare workers says they like the kind that tie rather than the elastic kind. If the elastic ones don't fit just right, they're either too loose, or painful because they're too tight.

I'm getting material by posting on Facebook that I need it. I went through all my odd sheets last week, and am just about out of t-shirts.

If you want to be really productive at doing this, find someone who doesn't sew to cut your pieces for you. I can assemble a mask in about 20 minutes, but it takes nearly that long to cut everything I need for one.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:16 pm

Bpatters, that is the same pattern that I've been using for my family! So far we like it.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:33 pm

Do they have a little guinea pig shape stitched into them? :P

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:56 pm

In tie dye!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:00 pm

There we go. Blast from the past.