COVID-19

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:20 pm

Hey, a friend shared this video by a doctor who goes into great detail about how to handle food in the home. He uses sterile technique and explains it extremely well. He did a fab job on the video (good, clear speaker).

PSA Safe Grocery Shopping in COVID-19 Pandemic – UPDATED!!!

*** On the very first post of this topic, I added a link to world wide statistics and statistics by state for reference.
http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=77897

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:50 pm

Good idea Lynx - saves me hunting around for the info.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:14 pm

Good video. I haven't looked out on the internet for this, yet, but has anyone seen anything on safe practices for handling mail? I would think it's roughly the same concept. My husband orders a lot of classical music CDs on eBay, and I'm becoming increasingly paranoid about the boxes and packaging that they arrive in -- as well as the CD case and CD itself, if it's a used CD. I've asked him to stop ordering anything from overseas, but still...it's another case of "you don't know where that has been."

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:59 am

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronav ... b9319923a024

My daughter got a new game for her hand held game thingy (Switch?) and I got a book of guitar music. With both of them I held the padded envelope with a scrap of paper towel, cut the top off and dumped the game into an empty grocery bag. Threw the envelope away holding it with a paper towel scrap. Got a sanitizing wipe , picked up the game (in plastic wrap) and wiped it all over. Put it on the entry hall rug & propped it up on some shoes so it would dry, wiped the scissors, pitched the wipe and washed my hands. Same treatment to my book.

I'm sure this is overkill but it eases my anxiety. Family just looks on & keep their mouths shut. They know me. This is OCD meets coronavirus. But I do know your husband needs to be especially cautious. We need to be extra cautious too because husband and I are ~70 and daughter with Lupus is immunosuppressed.

"you don't know where that has been." My sister said this about the people who deliver groceries, as we're trying to figure out the safest way to get them. But it sounded to me like a dog ""you don't know where he has been" my goodness, he's dirty. Must have been digging in garbage.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:20 am

You could deal with the CD case & CD similarly. At the library we used to carefully clean off the CDs (library - bits of stuck on stuff, smears not unusual) with alcohol wipes which is what we had available. I don't know how hard they are on the CDs.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:00 pm

Must watch:

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:19 pm

I kind of safely opened my mail, dropped the good stuff on the table, threw away the envelope and washed my hands.

I do feel we have to take responsibility for this ourselves.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:21 pm

I've been taking the mail in and putting it in separate piles by days of the week. I wash my hands after handling it. I then let it sit for a week before I open it. That's probably overkill because I've never heard of the virus living longer than 3 days on a surface. I figure after a week there is no live virus left and the mail is safe to handle. Crazy times.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:28 pm

I took my AARP mag and put that on a dresser with the plan to look it over in at least a week from now.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:10 pm

Dish Network bill is going to sit on the counter for at least a week. It's not just to avoid potential coronavirus on the envelope; they give lousy service and I hate paying them.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:02 pm

NY Governor Cuomo, speaks to the National Guard. He is an inspiration.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:18 am

He truly is. I have the utmost respect for Cuomo.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:26 am

Great cartoon.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:23 pm

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:05 pm

Very clearly written. I wish all Americans would take the time to read and understand why this is such a dangerous virus.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:30 pm

What's wrong with this picture?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:34 pm

You know a lot of these people are going to become ill.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:00 am

I listened to a very moving podcast from This American Life called "The Test". People describe what they are going through due to this virus. I doubt anyone could listen to it and not recognize the severity of this illness.
https://www.thisamericanlife.org/698/the-test

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:05 am

I will listen to it tonight. We really aren't hearing a whole lot about the unimaginable human suffering and devastation around this. For Trump to say that if we "only" have 100,000-200,000 cases it will be a great success is just unbelievable callousness.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:34 am

Oh, I have to add this compilation hand video (Vietnamese). John Oliver showed the early version. It keeps growing, so catchy and informative!!

353 posts