COVID-19

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:27 am

That seems so irresponsible!

lisam

Post   » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:35 pm

I can tell you, it's no fun being in the epicenter of the virus. It's been difficult getting supplies since day 1. People line up for hours at Coscto in the off chance that there will be toilet paper, milk. diapers. There's never hand sanitizer or alcohol. The other stores are similar-I couldn't even find Soft Scrub with Bleach, which I've been using for years to clean my porcelain sink. Mom's can't even get baby wipes.

I've been working on going zero waste for awhile now, and rags instead of paper towels are fine, but I never thought I might have to use them for toilet paper! Luckily my ex had some TP stocked for his business and gave us a bunch.

My kids have banned me from going to any stores, which means they will have to get my horses' food for me (the feed store said they will bring orders out to cars for people). I'm getting grocery Pick Up tomorrow. We do go out for walks, and it's nice to see all the people out and about for walks/bike rides. Luckily the weather is supposed to be nice for a week or so. Don't worry, we keep a social distance from everyone!

My son (lives with me) works at the library distribution center. All the libraries are closed, but they still have some work to finish up on. He is part of a small crew and they work with gloves, but he still plans on changing and showering immediately as a precaution, because I'm old now and at risk. Today will probably be the last day he works for awhile. We go up to Bellingham on Sunday to move my daughter home from college.

This is a bad season for my allergies, and every little cough is suspect. Is it Covid 19? Or is it because I got a new shipment of hay that's giving me an allergic reaction?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:01 pm

You're not old!! But I'm old! Anyway, I hope some sort of normalcy can return to your lives.

lisam

Post   » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:25 pm

Yeah, I was wondering if I should postpone my appointment with the tax person? I heard a rumor that it's possible the IRS will extend the tax deadline.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:03 pm

This supply shortage is crazy. People stockpiling so others have to go without, it's so selfish. Lisam, I hope you stay safe and that things start turning around in your area. I'm glad you have family helping you.

I received my Chewy order today so we have dog food and hay. I always buy ahead to have an extra few weeks on hand, especially dog food. After the melamine recall a number of years back, I buy an extra bag and keep it in the freezer for a few months. That way if there's a recall, at least I haven't started feeding a new bag.

I did take a second look at the packing paper in the Chewy box, however. I told my husband if the toilet paper situation doesn't improve, that's our contingency plan. ;)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:45 pm

I'm old enough to remember the days of outhouses, when the toilet paper was shelled corn cobs. I don't intend to revert to that.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:06 pm

HR director:
Unbelievable, Sef! From Seattle!

Shelled corn cobs. Gah!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:23 pm

I didn't get to finish. Stay well & safe, lisam.

Warning: a lot of bad language.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:53 pm

Excellent. The expletives are justified.

On a lighter note, for those of us who are now relegated to working from home:

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:26 am

Thanks for the videos. I think everyone is using more expletives lately, and who can blame them.

lisam

Post   » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:01 pm

Grocery pickup didn't work very well. Because most of my order was organic stuff, I didn't think there'd be any issue getting it. Apparently now that everyone is stockpiling on food, even the organic beans aren't safe! So only one fourth of my order was actually in stock.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:32 pm

Dang. :(

Still no alcohol-based sanitizer anywhere around here, but I did snag a bottle of 80-proof vodka this afternoon. Close enough.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:22 pm

Ha! There is an 80 proof bottle of vodka in this house too! Not mine though. Waiting for its owner.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:29 am

Let’s see, if 80 proof is 40% alcohol you’ll have to use twice as much to get to more than 70%, right? Now, is this topical or taken internally?

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:41 am

We had a big day out. Went to Menard’s today for diet Mt. Dew. husband is hooked on that stuff. They have the best price but the shelves were empty. And no TP. So we bought candy and Irish Spring shower gel.

Then we went to the grocery store. No TP and they were installing new coolers for produce so that was empty as well. But they had diet Mt. Dew so husband stocked up. I don’t drink it, but I understand. I’m a coffee drinker and always make sure I have extra.

Last stop was McDonalds drive-up for Shamrock shakes. Exciting times.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:09 am

I have an embarrassing amount of coffee in the house. For some reason, I've always worried the price would skyrocket so any time it was on sale (a real sale) I ended up buying a bunch. I am an indiscriminate coffee drinker so nothing fancy. Just caffeine.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:02 pm

Okay, that sounds normal to me. A local liquidation store had Gevalia, Starbucks, and some others for $4.50 to $6.00 per 12-ounce bag. My husband the shopper saw it and told me, I made a beeline over there and bought a bunch. Gevalia traditional is my favorite, with creamer and frothy milk for a fancy latte.

Now that I think about it, maybe the dog and guinea pig aren’t the only spoiled ones in this house.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:32 pm

Splurged today on Jimmy John sandwiches for lunch. Order online; pay online. You can literally dart inside, grab your order off the shelf and run back out.

Plenty of coffee here, too, but I'm also drinking a boatload of it while I'm working from home.

Speaking of...no word yet on whether WFH will be extended to next week; I was just told I could work yesterday, today and tomorrow from home.

I did find that I have accumulated a ton of paper napkins over the years in my junk drawer. Make-shift TP!

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:37 pm

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2020

Post   » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:36 am

Lynx, you made me panic about our beloved Mount Hagen organic instant. Even though I have about 10 jars. It's out of stock at my preferred (non-Amazon) retailer! I found another online vendor so I can hoard some more of it. Nuts, but not as nuts as my husband buying 10 pounds cheese, spaghetti, and peanut butter when we already have about that much of all of those. Now if calories were all that mattered we could live on nothing but peanut sauce or cheesy spaghetti for a month.

359 posts