[Edit - Lynx]
World wide cases:
https://virusncov.com/

State by state breakdown:
https://virusncov.com/covid-statistics/usa
[Edit#2 - Lynx]
Useful articles free to the public from the Atlantic. The collection is here:
https://www.theatlantic.com/category/what-you-need-know-coronavirus/
[Original post] Might as well start this thread. I'm sure it's on everyone's mind.

I've read a lot books for non-scientists about epidemiology & novel viruses. And I've read over & over that it's (pandemic) not a matter of if, but when. Well, now is when.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:47 am

There has been a lot of criticism of its handling by the administration. The dem candidates and many others have pointed out how trump has undercut our ability to respond to it. I can't find the article I was looking for but will post it if I can.

I happened to be listening to NPR when trump started his interview on the virus. He blamed democrat's debates for the wallstreet meltdown! I was a mish mash of statements that showed how little he knew. Kind of "wishful thinking".

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:38 pm

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:47 pm

When I turned up to work this morning there was a sign posted on our door saying that anyone who had been to China in the last 14 days would not be allowed in to the building.

I have no clue how they intend to check or enforce that policy though.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:56 pm

Yikes.

I will add that putting Pence in charge of the response to this was a brilliant move. Pence did nothing for the State of Indiana (I would know), and can be expected to be equally unimpressive in handling this health crisis. But...we've got this.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:30 pm

trump-brilliance, as in the-furthest-thing-from-brilliance :-(

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:52 pm

trump has told Anthony Fauci and a couple of other CDC dudes that they can't say anything to the press without his ok'ing it. He must be ready to get out his black sharpie, just in case.
Comic Relief:

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:59 pm

Ha! I can't wait to see that bunch of stable geniuses modeling it!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:35 am

Sister and I were discussing this last night. As for the virus itself, it sounds like, so far, people most at risk of having a severe case are people in their 80's and people with certain preexisting conditions like cancer, diabetes, lung diseases. One of the biggest problems may be problems with supply chains. Refill all prescriptions you can (for yourself) & order hay for the pigs. And do all the usual - wash hands a lot, don't touch your mouth, nose or eyes unless your hands are clean, and keep your distance (6-7ft.) from people who are obviously ill.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:39 pm

Norton Anti-Virus. Priceless.

I thought I had read somewhere that people can be infected with coronavirus but not show any symptoms until it is fairly advanced. Is that true? If so, that would make it much harder to avoid being in contact with anyone who has it.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:07 pm

I think I've read that too. It does make it hard to avoid sick people.

I've collected some helpful info on the web:

-Some helpful info taken from the WHO:
What kills coronavirus: Answers about sanitizers, masks, medication
www.mercurynews.com
World Health Organization’s advice regarding what methods can and cannot kill the virus or otherwise prevent the spread of COVID-19.
www.mercurynews.com www.mercurynews.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-I bought cough medicine (Delsym). We were out of it anyway, but from the Mayo Clinic:
Cough medicine. This medicine may be used to calm your cough so that you can rest. Because coughing helps loosen and move fluid from your lungs, it's a good idea not to eliminate your cough completely. In addition, you should know that very few studies have looked at whether over-the-counter cough medicines lessen coughing caused by pneumonia. If you want to try a cough suppressant, use the lowest dose that helps you rest.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-One of the biggest problems may be disruption of supply chains. So get all your meds refilled if it's not too soon.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--As for a vaccine:
A top U.S. health official (Anthony Fauci) said on Wednesday that it will take "at least a year to a year and a half at best" to develop a vaccine for the coronavirus . And remember, all announcements from top medical officials now will have to go through Pence. You get the import of that.
thehill.com
Health official says coronavirus vaccine will take 'at least a year to a year and a half' to develop
A top U.S.
thehill.com thehill.com
--------------

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:10 pm

I think I've read that too. It does make it hard to avoid sick people.

I've collected some info on the web:

-Some helpful info taken from the WHO:

World Health Organization’s advice regarding what methods can and cannot kill the virus or otherwise prevent the spread of COVID-19.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/02/26/what-kills-coronaviru ... -medication/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-I bought cough medicine (Delsym). We were out of it anyway, but from the Mayo Clinic:
Cough medicine. This medicine may be used to calm your cough so that you can rest. Because coughing helps loosen and move fluid from your lungs, it's a good idea not to eliminate your cough completely. In addition, you should know that very few studies have looked at whether over-the-counter cough medicines lessen coughing caused by pneumonia. If you want to try a cough suppressant, use the lowest dose that helps you rest.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-One of the biggest problems may be disruption of supply chains. So get all your meds refilled if it's not too soon.
--As for a vaccine:
A top U.S. health official (Anthony Fauci) said on Wednesday that it will take "at least a year to a year and a half at best" to develop a vaccine for the coronavirus . And remember, all announcements from top medical officials now will have to go through Pence. You get the import of that. Fauci told the truth, which will affect the stock market & trump's reelection prospects. And trump ***lied*** as usual.
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/4 ... will-take-at
Last edited by Bookfan on Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:22 pm

I will definitely read through this; thanks for posting it. My husband is very susceptible to whatever is going around, and I have to be so careful to try to keep him away from illness.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:47 pm

Oops. I don't know what happened. I copied & pasted from another site I post on & it didn't come out the right way here so I edited it. How I ended up with 2 ??

I'll do some googling.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:08 pm

I'd put a mask on myself as soon as I got home. Here's a good first start:
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/02/26/8096506 ... -coronavirus

From the CDC:
Can someone spread the virus without being sick?

People are thought to be most contagious when they are most symptomatic (the sickest).
Some spread might be possible before people show symptoms; there have been reports of this occurring with this new coronavirus, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.

lisam

Post   » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:48 pm

Today while checking out at the grocery store, the clerk told me that all the hand sanitizer has been sold out for days. I'm glad I have a bunch at home, because in another week and a half I'm going to Emerald City Comic Con here in Seattle.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:07 pm

The most recent NPR Science Friday talked about this virus. You can download the podcast at Science Friday if you wish.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:18 pm

I was debating ordering a mask of some sort for my husband, until I read this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-n95-face-masks.html

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:52 am

From what I've read, masks are only useful for the sick people to wear to stop their spray & droplets from going all over. That's why I think you could put on a surgical mask as soon as you get home if you're concerned you might be sick with or without symptoms. Masks don't protect the well, except they may help keep people from touching their mouths and noses.

The N95 can offer protection for the wearer but are difficult to use. They are meant for healthcare professionals. I can't read the NYT article, but I'm guessing that's what it's about. If used properly, I guess they offer protection for the wearer, but only if worn properly which isn't easy.

Crazy4me

Post   » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:07 pm

Bookfan the N95 masks need to be fitted to your face..so they may not provide appropriate protection.

309 posts