Don't Mess with Nancy

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:24 pm

LBJ didn't suddenly become progressive. He was progressive all along. And he really knew how to get bills through Congress.
https://www.history.com/topics/us-presidents/lyndon-b-johnson

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:00 pm

I recall reading about his skill at getting votes. Nice (although short) article about him.

His heart was definitely in the right place.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:39 pm

I don't know how much LBJ's heart was in the right place. He was hell-bent on getting the space program funded as well as the civil rights bill,, and the price of the southern senators' votes for civil rights was the location of the major components of the space program in the southern states. He said the south would be Republican for a generation, but his estimate was a little short.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:44 pm

Voter suppression has done a number on the south.

GPIG

Post   » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:21 am

I don't mean to upset Dem or Repubs by either side thinking I support the other. I know almost everyone here is a Dem. I shouldn't post things like I did, I realize it will be taken as I'm defending the other side. I'm not. I voted for Obama twice, Trump once, it will be only once. It was a protest vote not, a vote of confidence in his ability.

As for Nancy, I've mostly admired her. I think for the most part she has used common sense, has a good work ethic with morals, I don't require much more. Everyone is entitled to a bad day or an embarrassing moment. Nancy however, should know the State of the Union Address is not the time to have that moment. Her behavior behind the Presidents back was embarrassing to herself, an insult to me, an insult to her constituents and America. I'm sure not many here agree with me, I understand but that's my opinion.

I believe it's an insult, regardless of Trump being a complete jackass, by remembering that thing back in grade school we all learned about 2 wrongs not making a right? I'ts applicable here. It is childish behavior and moreover and wrong is that many Americans think it's funny. That's unfortunately the sate of politics in America.

As for the accomplishments of Dems, yup they've done a lot historically, I myself loved how they were the party of labor at one time. No longer the case, but at one time.....I have many friends who are just as convinced Republicans are the answer as you all are that Dems are the answer. I disagree with them as much or more as I do with dems being the answer but i am certain a knowledgeable Repub can give a list of just as many accomplishments as provided here. I however can not, I don't really care or think what's been done by people in the safety and comfoet of Congress that big a deal. They did their job sometimes.

One of the things I've learned in life is that perspective is everything. When it comes to service of country I've left my blood and soul in places like Fallujah, Khost, Kabul and other places. My wife was a real combat medic unlike Cassey Gabbard, who was in the rear with the gear for about a minute despite her glorified bullshit. Now I don't need or want a thank you from anyone, it was my choice but when I hear about sacrifice from politicians because they missed home life to make votes, I think of comforting and holding friends while their blood squirted in my face and I watched the life drain from their eyes. So my expectations of politicians might be different than some others, not better just different.

Telling me Dems are the answer is not something that I will ever believe nor will I believe Repubs are the answer. I will however have to live with the system for now, thankfully though I do see it coming to an end. So we can agree to disagree and I'll leave it alone so as to not offend.

GPIG

Post   » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:51 am

Too late to add, but a quick note about LBJ being such a great guy. He did get the Civil Rights Bill though and then uttered his Recorded Comment "I'll have those niggers voting Democrat for 200 years.

The liberal web sites say "he supposedly said it with little evidence to back it up" Patently untrue, it's on tape, he said it. He also used the word Nigger constantly. I did however think had John Kennedy lived this country might be a shining beacon to the rest of the world even now. A tremendous loss, despite his personal failings, he was the real thing.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:37 am

I vaguely remember thinking LBJ was rather crude at the time. That n word will always sound wrong, no matter who says it.

I believe Nancy felt she had no choice but to respond as she did to the charade that was the state of the union. And I surely do not think all democrats are gods. I look at the body of what they have done and are trying to do. The new batch we elected in 2018, many hold high ideals.

Warren is such an inspiration. There is so much that must be set on a different course.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:18 pm

Ha. Crude, yes. There were good things about LBJ and there were bad things. He was a complex man. At least that's how I see him.
It doesn't surprise me a bit that he wheeled & dealed on the civil rights vote. That's how he got things done. But I am kind surprised that he underestimated the impact of the Civil Rights vote on the South.

I look at what Pelosi did as an unusual act in unusual times. I think it was a symbolic way of saying to the nation that most of what he said was lies. Trash. And the timing may have been disrespectful, but it affixed her message to the SOTU in real time.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:10 pm

A wholeheartedly agree about Nancy. It was an effective move and tragically needed.

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:58 am

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:30 pm

Interesting. And Burns does mention how vulgar LBJ & Nixon were.

"Ken Burns, a Guy Who Should Know, Calls Trump a “Hitler-esque” Fascist"

And nearly half the country support him. I just requested the documentary from the library.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:17 pm

GPIG, I hope you continue to post freely. I find your viewpoints interesting, even if I don’t always agree with them. Of course, I’m not a Democrat (or a Republican), so I can’t answer for others.

Your post confirms what a lot of my friends have been arguing for the past 3+ years -- that many Trump voters were unfairly labeled as prejudiced, backward deplorables. Your post demonstrates the opposite. Many Trump voters also voted for Obama both times. They didn’t suddenly become racist and vote for Trump. Their reasons were complex. Many didn’t find relief under 8 years of Obama and were desperate for change. Some viewed him as the lesser of 2 evils and couldn’t bring themselves to vote for Hillary. Others viewed it as thumbing their nose at the established parties. I don’t think Trump voters should be written off. Many are open to having discussions.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:59 pm

I still struggle to understand why some of my family undoubtedly voted for trump. I could not bring myself to talk to them afterward. I had more understanding for an elderly republican friend and her husband than I did my own family. The elderly friends were fox newsers and had bought into several conspiracy theories.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:34 am

Regardless of why people voted for Trump, the fact remains that the damage done will have lasting, possibly irreversible consequences. If voters had at least bothered to consider that his judges and their decisions would be in place for decades, maybe "thumbing their noses at the establishment" or making a statement against Hillary wouldn't have seemed like such a smart move.

We had an obligation to future generations to choose wisely and we failed. The reasons why matter little, now, but I believe history will judge us harshly for what we have unleashed---and rightfully so.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:57 am

If voters had at least bothered to consider that his judges and their decisions would be in place for decades, maybe "thumbing their noses at the establishment"
Really, I think it's a pretty small minority of voters who are aware of this (aside from the Supreme Court).

GPIG

Post   » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:00 am

"If voters had at least bothered to consider that his judges and their decisions would be in place for decades, " Those voters believed more of that in Hillary's case, especially when it came to Supreme Court Judges. They feel the blame goes to the people who tried to shove Hillary down their throats with "oh she's not that bad, it's the media" No it wasn't.

In my case I had hoped and still hope those long reaching Fups will impact people enough to make them see the system needs to be overhauled. unlike a lot of you I don't believe democrats can come along and make it all ok.
fff

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:29 am

The problem is, Democrats (or anybody else, for that matter) won't come along and "make it all okay," won't even have a chance to try, because Trump will win re-election. The mechanisms are already in place to make sure that happens. Democracy in the US was dealt a serious blow the day Trump came into power, and we now have the underpinnings of a dictatorship---or a very close facsimile thereof. I don't foresee another legitimate election in my lifetime.

Well done, Hillary haters. Well done.

GPIG

Post   » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:49 pm

I don't think Trump casued the illegitimate election cavalcade you are fearing. We can go back to Gore v Bush. Actaully, the begining for me was when Ross Perot ran strictly to take away enough votes from Bush Senior. He did, and swayed the elction for Billy which started the whole Clinton "dynasty"

I don't balme Hillary haters, I mean she's hated by a large group of people. Maybe she had somethign to do with people hating her, and maybe the people who thought it was "her time" should have been paying more attention. Her balyooed internet metrics team got their ever living strategy asses kicked big time.

The other problem is money. This latest race may come down to Bloomberg v Trump; neither of them really party people which I like. I could live with Bloomberg by the way, I like him. However, it might be the beigining of you have to be worth billions to afford to run for office, and that coud spill over to Governors, Senate, etc, it already has to some degree.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:55 am

Agree with your analysis of Bloomberg. I think he'd be at least adequate as a pres. & I don't think he'd become a dictator nor does he have the incredibly long list of criminal acts, but the money thing is worrisome. Not a good trend. I wish he would step back from the race and just put those snarky, trolling tv spots out about Trump. But if he's the only one who can win, I'm for him. Unfortunately, none of the contenders seem particularly strong - they all have problems with electability one way or the other. If Trump wins, we're sunk as a nation. And almost half of the country won't even know or understand what's happening. Honestly,I think someone who is poorly educated in history/government simply doesn't get it.

Waddles, my library got that Ken Burns documentary but I decided I can't watch it. Too depressing.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:03 am

I ran across a fairly devastating post on another board listing a whole bunch of really bad stuff about bernie (mostly from his youth). I would still vote for him if he was the candidate.

I think bloomberg buying the presidency would be a travesty.

I am still 100% all in on Warren. She has the right heart, she has always been on our side (middle class), is whip smart, and will do a great job setting things initially on the right course and encouraging our legislature to make the right decisions (I happen to think M4all is going in the right direction - I won't enumerate the reasons on this topic but Medicare for those who want it is a cop out and leaves many problems unaddressed).

I also feel she has the least baggage of everyone, bloomberg included.

Not interested in trading one rich guy for a richer guy.

57 posts