And in Other Trump News & Weather...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:16 pm

A lot of cheating (and lying) going on in the Republican party.

I am watching the horrendous state of the union. Have never heard such a string of lies.

GPIG

Post   » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:25 am

The conducting is disturbing, no disrespectful. Both Trump's son and wife don't know to place their right hand over their heart unless photo is flopped.

Several years ago I discovered a medal of honor recipient lived in my town. Being a member of my towns's history club (the youngest member) I went to his house (very respectfully), introduced myself as a marine and a current member of MARSOC on leave living in the same town. I explained I was also a member of our town's History Club and asked him if he would join us at one of our meetings and speak to our group about his experience in Vietnam, and receiving the Medal of Honor. He was happy to do it but he genuinely didn't know why we would want him to speak. He had 2 teenage children who were unaware he had received the medal of honor, he never told them, he just didn't think it was important.

He gave the best talk we ever had at one of our meetings, I was happy I was home for it. He and I became friends, he is a guest faculty member at West Point and is the person responsible for inviting me to West Point to take part in panel discussions regarding ethics in combat. In turn, I convinced him to tell his children of his Medal of Honor citation, I convinced him they had a right to know their father had received our nations highest honor.

Retired Colonel Jack Jacobs is one of the finest men I have ever met in my life and that he befriended me is one of the things I'm proudest of. I could call him and ask him about this video, send him an email with the link soliciting his opinion but I wont, I know what he would think, it would hurt him.

This is his citation if interested http://www.cmohs.org/recipient-detail/3311/jacobs-jack-h.php

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:34 am

He sounds like he was a great man and greatly deserved this high honor.

In other news, the senate vote on impeachment will happen today. Who will count the traitors.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:09 pm

I'm trying to avoid news. I simply can't deal with it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:33 pm

It appears there will be no surprises. I'm watching the roll call on the second article (first one, only Mitt Romney voted to convict).

Second article, Romney says not guilty. 47 to 53 shameless republicans.

We will fight to get all of them out of office.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:28 pm

And I fear we will lose that fight.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:03 pm

I think there will be a democratic president in office next year! So many of us are laying low but NOTHING will keep us from voting!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:42 am

I know I tend to be a Debbie Downer. But he can declare a national emergency or something and cancel elections. He can do anything he wants. If we do have an election, I think we have a good chance to win. But we're going to have to do the best we can to protect it from interference without much help from the federal govt. since Moscow Mitch wouldn't let any legislation come to the floor. Christopher Wray (FBI) said Russia is already very active with phony Facebook stuff.

Paper Ballots:

St. Louis County is using only paper ballots - important. So is Jackson Co., MO. That's Kansas City, MO.

It's worth ***checking with your local Indivisible group (google Indivisible & your nearest city, I guess) or Dem. campaign organization to see what they can accomplish in your own county***. Now is the time to do it. You can't hack a paper ballot (of course then it goes through a reader but you always have a paper trail which is much harder to tamper with - very important). If a Facebook page is the only hit for Indivisible , I've found that most organizational Facebook pages can be accessed for reading by clicking on the "not at this time" in small print below the sign in or sign up business.

Before I knew we'd have paper ballots, I was thinking that Dems. should try to have volunteers at as many voting places as possible on election day with a placard or handbills advocating for the use of paper ballots. Maybe ***"Even Russia Can't Hack Paper"***. Any local Dem.campaign organization should think about implementing this. Call them. Of course many volunteers will be busy with "get out the vote" & dealing with voter suppression.

I've been worrying about election tampering since the mid-90's. I used to be a software developer. I don't know a thing about hacking, but writing code to alter the vote in the computer would be fairly simple, at least at a superficial level.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:04 pm

We (Virginia) have paper ballots. Apparently it took two months to switch in 2018 when it was found the machines were vulnerable.

This website seems to have lots of info on ballots:
https://ballotpedia.org/Voting_methods_and_equipment_by_state

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:57 pm

Interesting website! One of the problems with DRE and paper trail is hardly anyone looks at the paper receipt or even knows what it's there for. That makes it useless. We've used these right up until now.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:52 pm

I like the plain paper ballots best. It was so interesting getting them back after all the years of using the "electronic" machines. They are simple and you can check the votes all you want.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:55 pm

This is so depressing. Unbelievable that so many people support Trump.

Here in Minnesota people will not vote in the primaries because to do so we have to sign a statement that we align ourselves with the beliefs of either the Republican or the Democratic Party. That signed statement is then considered public information and no one can tell us what will be done with it. So anyone who holds public office or is a civil servant will categorized as one or the other and they fear for their jobs and their safety. I’m sure that information will be sold to organizations that compile data on all of us.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:26 am

The information I believe also can help the parties call their respective declared dems or repubs and encourage them to vote. We can vote for whoever we want without such a nasty declaration.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:03 pm

I think the gathering of that information is pretty standard -- it's just done in different ways. In some states, you register yourself as one party or the other. In others, like Texas, you don't. But which primary you vote in is public information, so if you vote in a Dem primary, the Dems will consider you one of them and flood you with donation requests, political flyers, etc. The Repugs do the same thing.

Minnesota's declaration just seems to me to be worded a little oddly -- that you "align yourself with the beliefs" of the party. But it's nothing sinister, and whether you vote in a primary and which one is public information in any state in the nation, as far as I know. In Texas, my voting in a Dem primary is the equivalent, and they can draw the same conclusions about me as they could for you in Minnesota.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:17 pm

I knew retaliations would start immediately and I'm worried about what he will do to Schiff. I've been worrying about this all through the impeachment. All those brave people who stepped up to tell the truth. Read up about The Night of the Long Knives (Hitler). It's part of consolidating power.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:19 pm

Romney said he expects "unimaginable consequences" as a result of his vote. I've never been a big fan of Romney, but at least he had the integrity to do his job. That's more than any of his spineless colleagues were willing to do. How far the Republican party has fallen. How far we as a nation have fallen.

I just feel like it's all so hopeless, now.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:02 pm

Not being a vindictive person myself, it actually did not even dawn on me that he would be so retaliatory and cruel. In some cases, this is ruining people lives - all because they told the truth. What a horrible excuse for a human he is.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:31 am

Trump fires key impeachment witnesses

Lengthy Wiki reference to Night of the Long Knives, but definitely worth the read:
Knight of the Long Knives
"If you look on without lifting a finger...you will meet the same fate sooner or later." - Cap. Erwin Planck

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:24 pm

"If you look on without lifting a finger.." Yes, yes. Ditto about Romney - never a fan, but his vote was courageous. I would guess that most of the people who stepped forward knew if Trump wasn't removed from office, there would be personal consequences.

"I just feel like it's all so hopeless" I don't know how we proceed from here.

And it's not going to be just straightforward retaliation. Trump is inciting his followers to violence against his most prominent foes, e.g. Schiff. Trump can't fire Schiff or Nadler or Polosi, but he won't have any trouble finding people willing to take "retribution" on them.

From L.A. Magazine:
Still it’s no surprise that D.C. cops and other agencies are extra vigilant about the California congressman’s security. A convicted Arizona sex offender was recently indicted for allegedly threatening to kill Schiff, the lead manager in the impeachment trial, after watching Fox News. Schiff also told Los Angeles about death threats he’d been receiving in an interview last year.

Trump’s team has voiced its own vitriol. Just hours after the Senate acquitted Trump on Wednesday, White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham demanded in a statement, “Will there be no retribution?” On Thursday she followed up by hinting that Trump would be seeking “payback” against those who opposed him.
https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/adam-schiff-office/

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:00 pm

From your Night of the Long Knives link, Sef:
At least 85 people died during the purge, although the final death toll may have been in the hundreds, with high estimates running from 700 to 1,000. More than a thousand perceived opponents were arrested. The purge strengthened and consolidated the support of the Wehrmacht for Hitler.
Chilling.

229 posts