Warren to Run in 2020?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:04 am

Very cool! Our oldest hardware store has been around for a long time but not as long as yours (ours, since 1893). It moved about 60 years ago to a newer location and is thriving and likely to be around for a while.
https://www.martinhardwareinc.com/about-us.html

Our Penny's store is still in the same mall with the other closures. We also lost our Sears and our Kmart. Sears, maybe last year or the year before and Kmart, maybe 3 or 4 years ago. I was sad to see them go.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:47 pm

I've used the third and later versions of this store, but the original building was still around in the 1970's.
http://www.dierbergs.com/about-us

I love the pics of the old hardware stores.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:16 pm

That old building is great! I love hardware stores for all the interesting and useful things inside.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:36 am

More closures of brick and mortar stores in my town:

"The end of 2019 is a tough one for businesses in Charlottesville as a few more are closing their doors"
https://www.nbc29.com/2019/12/29/end-is-tough-one-businesses ... their-doors/

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:33 pm

A couple inspiring pages on Warren. One, a fab overview of her, the other, from a Latina who attended a rally in Brooklyn.

Warmth, Brilliance and Persistence: The Eminent Electability of Elizabeth Warren
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/1/11/1910454/-Warmth-B ... abeth-Warren

Dispatches from the Warren-Castro rally and why this Latina is so inspired by these two
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/1/9/1910242/-Dispatche ... by-these-two

A great beginning to a thoughtful article:
"...When I read that Secretary Castro and Sen. Warren would be taking the stage together in Brooklyn, I instantly bought a $15 bus ticket from D.C. to New York. At the risk of sounding dramatic, I needed to be in the same space as the two people who I admired so much stood side by side to tell me that their vision of America is possible. I needed to be told that all the madness of the current news cycle could someday end and that if we worked hard and elected the right people, there would be hope for us as a country again."

GPIG

Post   » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:57 pm

How is that possible, a bus ticket from NY to DC for only $15? As the crow flies, I live about 30 miles from NYC, or about a one hour train ride. A one way train trip costs just about $15, I think a bus ticket is a littel less but not much. Sorry Lynx, I know that is not your point but that just grabbed me.

On to your point.....I think Warren's personality is well balanced to make a run of it. She does have some warmth, important to me and I think a large group of voters. I also see toughness, even more important, rarely can people pull off genuine warmth with toughness. I think she does it very well. I'm close to saying she's my vote.

Back to Moron boy for a minute, I wish I could just say he was stupid with his tweets and all. Keeping the Iran situation in the media, and grabbing defeat from a tiny flicker of positiveness. However, and unfortunately, his stupidity is calculated... if that's even possible. I don't think he is as stupid as he would have us believe. He is working very hard to make the divide in America wider, that's his reelection strategy in a nutshell. I thought he'd get elected, not in my wildest dreams did I ever think we would be here discussing reelection.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:12 am

There are super cheap direct buses that go from my town (Charlottesville) to NYC. DC is so much closer (she has also taken buses to NYC from DC after visiting friends). They are run by small companies and generally run full. My daughter used to use them all the time. Good rates from large companies too, depending on when you book.

Here's a listing for an $8 bus:
https://www.busbud.com/en/bus-washington-new-york/r/dqcjqb-dr5reg

Google "cheapest bus from dc to nyc" and entries at $1 even show up.
Bus from DC to NYC - Tickets from $1 | Wanderu
Search domain www.wanderu.com/en-us/bus/us-dc/washington/us-ny/new-york/ht ... ny/new-york/
The best way to find cheap deals on bus tickets from Washington D.C. to New York is by booking earlier as most bus companies increase the price as the departure date approaches. By booking 26 days out, tickets are on average $8.22 cheaper than those that are booked last minute.
Edit - daughter says she got one of the $1 tickets on Bolt (final price under $5 with some fees) NYC to DC.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:56 am

A great article on Elizabeth Warren:

The case for Elizabeth Warren
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/1/15/21054083/elizabeth-warren-2020-democratic-primary

A link on that page to a similar article on Sanders (the other top candidates will likely be also profiled).

I learned new reasons to support Warren that fit with reasons I already had.

Erinspigs

Post   » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:58 pm

Lynx, whose side are we taking in the Warren/Sanders feud? I think I have to side with Liz.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:15 pm

I think I side with Liz but truth is, often someone will say something and the intent is misunderstood and forget the issue. I could imagine Bernie more thinking that this cycle people would pass on a woman because Hillary was not elected (however, she DID get more votes than trump and she had a lot of baggage (much ado of nothing) and facebook trolls attacking her).

So what I think happened is Liz remembered it right but Bernie forgot and had been trying to make some other point.

For me it is a non-issue and I don't hold it against either candidate.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:59 pm

I love this ad. Family is family.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:10 pm

She tells it like it is. After the DOJ interferes with the Stone trial and prosecutors quit/remove themselves from the case:

GPIG

Post   » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:23 am

I think if the Dems were smart they would focus on getting her up front fast. Trump fears her more than any of the others. He knows, or his people know Sanders is the one not electable.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:45 am

She is very sharp and quick on her feet (something I have never been - takes me a while to formulate any kind of answer). You will notice how the media is sidelining her. Even in the first primary, they skipped over her being third.

By the way, I don't think Budigeg is going anywhere. He is not the man for the job. Warren knows how to find the right people. She knows what has to be done and will move quickly. There is a fear from the wealthy that we may want back some of the ill gotten gains that have migrated overwhelmingly to the most wealthy people to make them obscenely wealthy.

I think someone asked her "who would be her Mike Pence?"
She replied she already had a dog.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:57 pm

I ran across a respected writer who made a solid case for backing Warren - with the knowledge she may not win but the firm belief she is the best candidate and would make the best president. This article does not discuss her views so much as analyse electability.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/2/15/1919452/-I-never- ... abeth-Warren

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:27 am

It's an interesting article. I read it late last night, all the way through. He has some very valid points. I confess that I've thought maybe Bloomberg would be the best candidate, purely in terms of being the only candidate capable of going toe-to-toe with Trump financially. He's politically and economically savvy; knows how to play the game. I agree with the author, though:
...while Bloomberg in particular is now running third nationally, it's not yet clear that he has any ideological pull among Democratic voters other than his ability to flood the zone with billions if he's the nominee. That idea alone may appeal to some voters who are absolutely desperate to unseat Trump, but the more I think about it, the more it turns my stomach. If Bloomberg were to win the nomination and take on Trump, our presidential elections would be forever changed into a billionaire showdown every four years.
In my view, the Dems have an almost insurmountable, 3-prong challenge to overcome:
  • Will this be a legitimate election with no outside influence/interference or voter fraud;
  • If it is a legitimate election and a relatively level playing field, is there a candidate out there who resonates with women, blacks, Hispanics, etc. and can galvanize voters and fire up the base;
  • If by some miracle the first two challenges can be overcome and a Dem were to actually win the election, will Trump actually acknowledge defeat and leave office?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:09 am

Yup. I'm worrying about getting a suitable candidate on the ballot. What do you guys think of Amy Klobuchar? Diffen (site recommended by bpatters ) has her party affiliation as Democratic-Farmer-Labor. Can she win the nomination? Can she beat Trump?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:46 pm

It is my personal opinion she cannot fire up people enough - and is not progressive enough. Not enough good plans. The most recent debate was her best debate - she seemed be uncomfortable in all the other ones and more able to project her ideas in that one.

Julian Castro would make a fabulous running mate for Warren. He has endorsed her and is stumping for her.

I listened to a "Hidden Brain" recent podcast where the political science author of a book that came out recently claimed too many people were wrapped up in politics as a "hobby" - rooting for a team, tearing down the other team. Wanting to be entertained. He pushed politics as power - gaining the power to get things done that needed to be done. While not entirely convinced of his argument (trying to apply it to myself), I realized I needed to do something and not just talk about it. I have made no secret of the fact I think Elizabeth Warren is hands down the best person for the job. It will take organization and work to undo as much bad governance as has been done in the last few years. Getting corruption out of government is the only way to put it back in our hands instead of those who would buy off politicians for their own and their wealthy donors' benefit and I am confident Warren can do it.

Lately Warren is being written off and ignored by the media. She still has the best plans and the skill to move them forward. So I finally signed up today to phone bank early this afternoon. I might end up canvasing next week if my feet don't hurt. And I traded one of the pins I made for a sign to put in my front yard.

I realize sitting at home and believing in your heart that you know who is the best person for the job is not good enough.

Passion Isn't Enough: The Rise Of 'Political Hobbyism' in the United States

Transcript on this page: https://www.npr.org/transcripts/804612601

98 posts