Warren to Run in 2020?

lisam

Post   » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:57 pm

Nice. I really like her.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:39 pm

I think she would make a very fine president. I like her drive, intelligence, honesty, and heart. She is on our side.

GPIG

Post   » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:17 pm

I'm sorry and not trying to be disagreeable but Elizabeth Warren doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning the presidency. If the Democrats believe it's her turn, we're going to have the same mess we had last time.

lisam

Post   » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:38 pm

Why not?

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:07 pm

I don't think anybody has a snowball's chance in hell of winning against tRump. I predict it will be another illegitimate election.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:36 pm

I thoroughly think trump will be tossed out if he hasn't already been run out. There is a huge majority of people who will never vote for him. I do think people will not have the wool pulled over their eyes again. Judging from the huge wins in 2018, Democrats are ready to fight. They know what is at stake.

I think you underestimate Elizabeth Warren, GPIG.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:50 am

I hope you're right, Lynx, I truly do. I adore Warren and how she has stood up to big business and corruption, and has been an advocate for those without a voice. I think she could be a very effective President---assuming, of course, that Mitch McConnell doesn't continue to control all the levers. Unfortunately, though, we've seen how easily and effectively outside influences can manipulate the outcome of our elections, and I can't imagine that they'll stop now. There's entirely too much at stake.

It's going to be interesting, to say the very least.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:05 am

I ran across an hour long speech she gave in New Hampshire, at Anselm college that lays out her economic plan. It takes a bit to get into it but she sees so clearly the economic situation for us all. The wealthy are scared to death of her. Some of her plans aim to correct the debilitating transfer of wealth to the upper class that has left most of us with small gains. Her creds are impeccable. She is one smart and ethical woman who is fighting for us. I am only 12 minutes into this but will listen to it all this morning.

GPIG

Post   » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:23 pm

Maybe I do underestimate her, honestly i don't know much about her. I just think presdiential elections follow the patern, if it's a very dgood economy the president gets another crack at it. If the econonomy is poor, they are out. I don't tlike it, but I think that's how it is. The presdinet doesn't have much sway creating a sustaiable good economy (typically, there have been exceptions) unless he's doing stupid stuff like deregualting for a temproary upswing which we know leads and lead to disaster.

lisam

Post   » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:28 pm

What about all the other stupid stuff he's doing? What about getting impeached?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:14 pm

Long - sorry.

It's so hard to say how impeachment will affect things. First of all, I think there's essentially no chance he will be removed from office by the Senate, as he should be. Second, Bill Clinton's approval rating went up after his impeachment, but that situation was so different from this one. The latest poll finds 51% for impeachment & removal and 41% against. That's improvement. It boggles the mind that all the stupid & illegal stuff hasn't shifted those numbers more.

I think so many people continue to get their news & views from Fox and social media bubbles and that's having a huge impact. And the Russians are already at it trying to throw the next election. Dem's have to figure out a way to deal with disinformation and propaganda and phony ad targeting & manipulation on social media.

Molly McKew, who I follow on twitter sometimes, is an information warfare expert and foreign policy and strategy consultant. I haven't read this article

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/01/putins-real-long-game-214589

but the headline says a lot. Notice the date - now we know Trump doesn't want to win the new war. He's on Putin's side and is working hard on us losing it. I think it's being called asymmetrical war - not entirely sure what that is.

Putin's trying to weaken **all** Western Democracies, e.g. Brexit in Great Britain. The Russians were involved.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:33 pm

I think this impeachment will hurt trump a lot more than Clinton's hurt him. Treason vs. lying about sex. No comparison.

A lot of women hate trump.

GPIG

Post   » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:37 am

I think an awful lot gets looked away when there's an economy like the one we are experiencing. He has most likely committed impeachable offenses that require removal, he won't be though. I'm hearing more and more leave the guy alone, look at the economy.

People can go on forever about the economy becoming problematic, destined to have the bottom drop out etc etc. For now however, unemployment is at record lows and almost anyone can make money if they want to. Even Democrats are looking at how much money their 401Ks have made.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:55 am

People who claim trump has been good for the economy are republicans who don't want you looking too closely. Unless you are really rich or a corporation and want you to look at your tax rate. The economy is not working for many people. Average relative pay is not improving. And there have been manipulations of money supply to prop things up. One example:

Fed Cuts Interest Rates To Prop Up The Slowing Economy

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:31 pm

Tax rate for large corps. - 11%!! Because of recent tax cut bill passed that was advertised as helping the middle class. Same old Rep. bait & switch on tax bills. Unemployment is low, but many aren't making a living wage & are working 2 jobs to make ends meet.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:23 pm

Not to mention that the national debt is a record $23 trillion:
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/468600-us-debt-surpasses-23-trillion-for-first-time

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:12 pm

Huge ditto!

Erinspigs

Post   » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:00 am

[gpig] Look EVERYONE who wishes to do so is making money right now. These type things can be sliced up anyway anyone likes to tell the story but the Fact is this: America is going through the largest increase of wealth in the history of the world. The economy is not slowing, that is just not true. I'm not an economist but I do have a a pretty good understanding of finance and this stupid reverse curve being talked about is BS. There is such a thing but we are not presently in one. Many other factors have been conveniently left out of the equation so it can be sold to people who don't understand it.

I know you all don't like him, I don't either, and I don't think he's fully responsible for the economy we're enjoying, but as president he gets credit, that's how it works. I know you all don't like it either but to say we're not in a ridiculously good period of wealth gathering is just not true. I own a business and have to figure out a way to spend some money because we made too much. Almost all businesses have the same problem right now. If you want to call that a problem, I don't know what else I could say.

As far as the national debt, it's a problem. America has a problem with debt but it's not Trumps doing. Obama left us with about 20 trillion in debt. No president has done anything about it, not just Trump. I wish he would. It is potentially devastating to us and the world economy. When we were in the darkest and most dangerous period of our Financial crisis Russia, who owned about 1 trillion of our debt approached China, who owned about 3 trillion of our debt, about coordinating dumping all of it on the market on the same day. It would have destroyed us. But as China told Russia, it also would have destroyed China and Russia.

I like NPR but getting your financial information from NPR alone is not going to give you the full picture, same with the Daily Kos. This isn't a Republican/Democrat thing. Take a look at your 401Ks or IRAs, they aren't just making money for Republicans.

If you have a Bachelor degree and/or specialized in something meaningful in terms of making money - if that was a goal, you do not have to work 2 jobs to support your family. I don't have a college degree, I wish I did but I can make money because I want to. However, anyone wishing to go to college has the ability to do so in America, I would recommend they do so. Might take some sacrifice but it's important. Thre are problems in inner cities and with minorities I give you that and it needs to be fixed, education needs to better, crime less but again, Trump didn't invent that problem either.

GPIG

Post   » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:10 am

That's not EP who wrote above post, I, GPIG did. EP however is home for Christmas and likes to use every computer in house leaving things logged on!!!!!!!!!! But don't hate her for post. I think she probably feels more like you guys than that post

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:00 am

Nobody here has said that Trump created the national debt. However, I find it interesting that for 8 years the Republicans bitched about the deficit under Obama (always conveniently ignoring the fact that Obama inherited one hell of an economic mess from their boy Bush) and yet those same 'fiscal conservatives' are strangely quiet now as we watch those numbers reach staggering heights.

Like you, GPIG, I live and work in the real world. I actually work for a bank, and we are seeing things humming along nicely for a lot of people who are doing well. I also volunteer for several social programs in our community, and I still see plenty of people not doing so well. Not because they do not wish to make money (as your opening line seems to suggest), but because the gap between the have's and have-not's continues to widen. And no, Trump didn't invent economic inequality, either, but he hasn't done a damned thing to lessen the disparity, either. 

I did stumble across an interesting article, comparing the economies of Bush, Obama and Trump:
https://www.businessinsider.com/9-charts-comparing-trump-eco ... uple-years-9
(Not sure if it's another one of those leftist sites that you alluded to, but it seems unbiased enough.)

134 posts