Global Warming

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:43 pm

I didn't know what HARP was and discovered it is HAARP. Anyway, found this. Still do not know much about it.
https://www.globalresearch.ca/haarp-secret-weapon-used-for-w ... arfare/20407

And ditto, lisam. I love cheese too! And milk! And yogurt!

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:42 am

Yes, cheese is the one thing that prevents me from becoming vegan. Milk and yogurt are great too but I'm happy with soy milk and soy yogurt.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:48 am

I have been a vegetarian for some 20+ years, but haven't been able to make the leap to Vegan (yet). I'm working on it, though. Dairy doesn't really agree with me very well, anyway, but I do love an occasional cheese dip.

Favorite milk alternative is Silk Very Vanilla.

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:13 pm

I love half and half in my coffee but have learnt to do without. Interestingly enough, you do taste the coffee better. I like oat milk and will use that when I'm feeling the need.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:45 am

I don't think I've seen oat milk around here, Waddles. How does it compare consistency-wise to soy or almond milk?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:48 am

My local Kroger has had "free" offers and I've had a chance to try it. Not very impressed, but then I'm a dairy person.

I do think a breakdown of the nutritional value of all the milk alternatives would likely show more complete proteins in dairy products (milk, the most) and a more valuable nutrition content for good health but I have not done this. As I mentioned, I drink non-fat milk and make yogurt out of the non-fat milk.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:06 am

I found a helpful breakdown of the various milks. Only soy has much in the way of protein, if you are trying to increase your protein intake using one of the milks. Various considerations are added sugars, the completeness of protein (only soy is also complete, but it also has added sugars).
https://eating-made-easy.com/milk-vs-milk-alternatives-which-should-you-choose/

Click on the link at the bottom of this page to see a comparison of milk's protein:
https://milklife.com/milk-vs-non-dairy-milk-alternatives

It is pointed out on one of the pages I found that many of the substitutes do not have naturally occurring calcium (important for our bones) so are supplemented with calcium.

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:33 am

Sef,
I find almond milk very watery, same with soy milk in regular grocery stores. They are so diluted and more water than almond or soy as to be tasteless and probaby useless nutrition wise. Plus I usually see carrageenan added to thicken them which brings up the whole issue of potential carcinogenicity.
Whole Foods carries an organic soy milk (I forget the brand but it's the only organic soy there) that isn't as watered down which I like. I haven't been to WF in a while but assume they still carry it. Asian brand Soy milks from Asian grocery stores generally aren't as watered down as the western stuff. I would look for non-gmo soy if possible.
Overall, I don't see much difference in consistency between Oat milk and the other milks but I like the taste of oats better, it doesn't have as many additives plus it is more environmentally friendly to grow than almonds.

In any event, I must say getting used to drinking coffee black has made my life a whole lot simpler, not to mention more economical. I didn't think I could do it at first but it's slowly growing on me.

Non-fat milk makes coffee look grey?!
Last edited by Waddles on Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:38 am

I don't like almond milk because it is so watery. Silk brand soy milk is much thicker and flavorful, but I don't know anything about the carcinogens. I don't drink at lot of it.

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:41 am

Sef,

Is your husband vegetarian too? The issue I find hardest about going vegetarian or vegan is when other members of the household aren't as interested. If he isn't, how do you balance cooking for both of you and still keeping vegetarian on your part?

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:52 am

My husband is not vegetarian. Generally, though, I just eat what I cook for him, minus the meat. Occasionally I'll substitute with a veg-based product for myself.

My biggest challenge is eating out. I have to be so careful, because I can get very sick from eating something that was cooked on the same grill as meat. Many dishes that look vegetarian can have a chicken broth base or have other animal-based ingredients. Living in a small farming community as I do, there aren't as many restaurants that cater to vegans/vegetarians, but I manage. Fortunately, we do have a small whole foods/organics store. :)

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:57 am

I find Cornucopia's scorecards helpful when I'm researching products.

https://www.cornucopia.org/scorecard/plant-based-beverages/

Are you allergic to meat then? Any and all meats?

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:23 pm

Not allergic per se, but after so many years of not eating meat, my stomach reacts badly if I do inadvertently consume something animal-based other than dairy (I originally gave up meat due to Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which was exacerbated by beef; then became aware of the issues around factory farming and it became as much an ethical decision for me as medical). Now, exposure to beef, chicken or pork causes an IBS flare-up of cramps and diarrhea.

I *can* eat seafood, but I don't do it very often.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:05 pm

I tried to find out what their scoring meant and ran across a pdf described their rating system, Waddles. Very interesting!

One thing I had already been aware of is how much of an issue water is in the production of almonds. I eat them regularly but hate that they supposedly require a gallon of water per almond! That is terrible in a state like California, that uses so much water in agriculture.
https://www.cornucopia.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/PlantBasedBeverageReport.pdf
Nuts are highly water-intensive crops. It requires approximately one gallon of water to produce one almond, walnut, hazelnut, pistachio, or cashew.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:01 pm

That pdf link I posted above is so informative! I also learned "almonds have been found to make up only 2% of some almond beverages".

They've also done analyses of various yogurts, ranking them so you know what you are buying.

GPIG

Post   » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:14 pm

Thank you Lynx! My wife jumped on the Almond milk bus a while back. I ran out of milk for my coffee and thought let me try some. Took a sip, and said, it's water. Sure enough... it's water - 98%+ water.

Sef, you're not missing much by not eating out except perhaps some warm germs and yes you sure can get sick from cross cooking. I also have a challenge eating out. Mine is that I don't like people touching my food except people I know very, very well, like my wife or children. I like to know someone is not scratching their belly and then pushing on my steak to see if it's medium.

I think food is my portion of being in the spectrum. I also don't like to eat in front of other people. I can eat out and in front of people but I'm not comfortable doing so. I'm fortunate my family puts up with me going in my feed room with bowl of gruel and eating by myself most nights except for my dog. She understands everything!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:21 am

Go take a look at what kind of almond milk she is drinking and see how good it is. If you click on the name of the product, they will give you lots more info from their rating system, GPIG.
https://www.cornucopia.org/scorecard/plant-based-beverages/

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:34 pm

Apparently Australia's fires may end up put out by more rainfall than they've had in 30 years!

And for an expletive laced, to the point, political commentary concerning Australia's abysmal failure to act on climate change:
[SHOW]

rjespicer

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:43 pm

Sadly that second video is about the size of it these days. Shelving environmental protections in favor of big business donors and investors. Not just in Oz but UK, US and elsewhere.

If something doesn't happen soon we wont need to go to Mars, this planet will end up looking like Mars.

79 posts