Misc posts on topical issues

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:27 pm

That is pretty funny.

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:10 pm

You have a brave and amazing dad, Erinspigs.

"The Elephant Whisperer" really opened up my eyes to how intelligent and brave and loyal elephants are. I get updates on the elephant and rhino sanctuary that his widow now runs and it is shocking to what extent they have to go to to keep the animals safe from poachers. and even then, it is an ongoing challenge.

Erinspigs

Post   » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:34 am

Thank you Waddles that is nice of you to say. Aren't elephants just amazing creatures,

I think I also have an angry dad. Harming those majestic creatures would make anyone mad. I know he's going to make a difference somehow. He promised me that on the day we saw a baby standing beside it's dead mom killed by poachers. He's never made me a promise he hasn't kept. So the elephants have that going for them!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:24 am

The ongoing part is the painful part. One can't be there at all times. I wish the root cause could be eliminated.

Erinspigs

Post   » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:58 pm

Yes Lynx, me too. And you've hit the nail on the head. I believe my father has the ability and knows the people with the skill set needed to be be able to significantly lessen poaching in a given area. Unfortunately, the skill sets needed, have taken him and his colleagues decades to learn. If they could stay there forever the problem would be nearly eliminated, but they can't.

However, part of his, and the others' skill set from the beginning of special forces history has been to be able to have small groups of highly trained individuals go into and area to train and pass their knowledge onto an indigenous people so as to make them able to take over a negative situation that is impacting their lives.

They are doing something a little different in that typically this type of thing has been done to fight a political enemy. Not to add hyperbole but what they are doing is a bit historic. They are using and implementing a system designed to train people to fight their own oppression, to save animals.

We are proud and supportive for what they are doing to save the animals but also that they are doing something rather clever and to our knowledge not done before. My Mom has told me gpig didn't even see it like that. He only saw the problem, wanted to change it, and used what he knows. Hopefully, one day, when he's been successful my Mom will write about it and maybe others will be able to do the same in other areas to save these beautiful animals. We know the odds are not with gpig and team but we also know our father and husband, he doesn't know how to quit. And that he is sensitive and caring is what we love most about him but woe to the person who pisses him off by hurting a living creature that can't defend itself.

GPIG

Post   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:17 am

Wow put like that and I really am a hero! Really, I'm kidding and there are lots of people involved, I'm only a small cog in the wheel. There is going o be a press conference in the coming months and the family I spoke of who have been financially backing the initiative will be introduced. This is not for publicity or self gratification but rather they have hired a marketing firm and it is how they feel best to go forward. Although the family may spend upwards of a billion dollars there will still need to be donations - institutional and private. There will not be an appeal to the general public, they have chosen to distance themselves from what has been done in the past and it makes it easier to control.

I will be introduced at that press conference I've been told, provided I stayed on, now the truth can be told, that's why I really stayed on, for my 15 minutes! No actually I have been participating in the strategy meetings and it turns out I might, might mind you, have a tad small bit of management ability. I will be asked to speak for a few minutes explaining the operational aspect of what is being done. I kind of like it all, I've been reading about waterfall vs agile project methodology, all kinds of things. Everyone has been patient and made me feel comfortable.

GPIG

Post   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:36 am

too late to edit but was adding this

It is possible I may stay on long term in a consulting basis working from an office, not in the field. I haven't given an answer and dont' need to for a while. The down side is the main office is in London (although there will be a satellite in New York) the up side is working remotely and only having to travel a few times a year, I think. I love London and so does my wife. I do have an obligation to our family business that will need to be addressed but as I mentioned it seems to be running just fine in my absence so we'll see.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:50 am

Be sure and let us know when the press conference is going to be.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:48 pm

Yes, do let us know - and I am sure I will be 100% behind their goal.

GPIG

Post   » Thu May 31, 2018 9:40 pm

Tentatively, I will be going back in 3 weeks for a total of about 3 1/2 months. Att he end of that I will go to England where there will be an announcement and I certainly will let you know more, when more is revealed!!

The sad thing of it is that the poaching season ramps up soon. The reason being is that the dry season begins in about a month and the animals are more centralized, more predicable. I hadn't been told this but during my last trip one night as lay awake wishing I could sleep I began thinking if I were a poacher what would I do? I hate that I can get myself to think that way but I was right. When I inquired, it is indeed a poaching bonanza, so I made plans at the end of last trip for this time period and the end of Africa trip coincides with some meetings in that will begin in London.

A good thing is that my wife will be able to meet me and I think I will also come home for about 10 days in between, maybe. I don't like to break focus like that but I may need to. Not sure anymore what my body and head wants/needs but hey will tell me, I've learned to listen. I'm like an old pitcher who doesn't have a fastball anymore but I've been around so I can throw some junk and still get some outs if I pay attention.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu May 31, 2018 10:45 pm

I worry about you when you leave. Three weeks will come too soon. I hope in the end that you feel you accomplished what you wanted and feel it was worth it all.

GPIG

Post   » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:15 am

Thank you for caring Lynx, it means a lot to me.

I too hope to accomplish something sustainable that makes a difference. I know it's a long shot but historically I've been pretty good when the odds are stacked against me. It's the easy stuff I blow!

My wife claims I'm looking for redemption and she's probably correct. I've learned to listen to the suggestions and opinions of people who care about me. I know it is dangerous for me to have an agenda outside the logical scope and goals of mission especially an agenda steeped in a psychological quagmire. I am being careful and continue to plan cautiously and to be prepared physically and mentally.

Thanks again but don't worry, Ill be alright. Hopefully, I will be able to help those beautiful animals.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:39 pm

We'll be thinking of you, GPIG, and hoping things turn out well for you. Stay safe.

GPIG

Post   » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:23 am

Thank you Granny Ju I really appreciate it. I will stay safe, and you be well also.

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:00 pm

Yes, keep safe. Thinking of you and the animals.

GPIG

Post   » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:11 pm

Thanks Waddles.

My wife is going to come visit me in July and we will take off a week or two before I get into it full swing to watch the Maasai Mara migration. It is suppose to be spectacular. I'm concerned about losing focus but I think I'll be ok. A couple times in Afghanistan I lost myself in the beauty of the place for a few minutes and I remember admonishing myself for being so careless. But this is different, the stakes are the same, maybe greater for me personally, but with maturity I now see the benefit of taking in the beauty and using it as motivation to succeed, I hope.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:03 pm

Sounds great having your wife visiting you there. Stay safe.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:01 pm

Here's the funniest thing I've seen in months!

https://twitter.com/hashtag/SecondCivilWarLetters

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:02 pm

Oh, they look like fun. I'll have to read more tomorrow.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:12 pm

I've been reading those. Hilarious!

146 posts