The Southern Boars

Piggywig

Post   » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:27 am

Sorry it has been a while since I posted, and only with unhappy news, too. But...Smokey and Louie are headed to the vet this morning. Somebody (I think it's Smokey) is peeing pee close to the color of coffee. So that means bladder issues. I've been being really careful with everyone, too.

I'm trying not to get immediately whipped out of shape about this, but the last two pigs who had bladder problems needed surgery, and died immediately afterward. So. Anyway. Wish us luck or whatever you do. I think we need it.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:50 pm

Prayers going up for your boys. Keep us updated.

Crazy4me

Post   » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:55 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Smokey and Louie.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:26 pm

Fingers crossed for everypig.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:17 pm

Best wishes for Smokey and Louie. I enjoy seeing their pictures and reading about them.

Piggywig

Post   » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:49 am

Thank you all for thinking of us...

Nobody had visible stones or sludge, thank goodness. Smokey's teeth got a trim, and he had gained 20 grams since his last visit. Louie had gained weight too, though.

They gave me metacam for Smokey's "sore mouth" and I missed a dose, and I was feeling guilty, only to find him chewing the bars like there was no tomorrow, demanding dinner. Bless him.

I almost fainted when they told me the amount of the bill... it was almost as much as Snicker's surgery. I almost cried. I am holding out my hands to the 15th, payday. Ouch.

They want me to get some of his urine by doing up the cage in waxed paper. The cage is six feet long. I'm not sure how I will work the logistics of this.

I would just get him out until he pees, but Smokey is much too shy and polite to pee in front of me. He will hold it forever. Still trying to figure it out.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:27 am

Block a 1x2 or 2x2 section and just wax paper that with him in there.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:35 am

I have a plastic file box that I use when I need a urine sample from them. Fortunately, I also have a small cookie sheet that fits into the bottom of the box. I put it in upside down, put the pig and some veggies in the box, tilt the box a bit by sliding a thin book under one end, cover it, and wait.

When the pig pees, her feet and hair are out of the urine because it runs to the low end and she's on the cookie sheet. It usually gets a pretty clean sample.

Piggywig

Post   » Mon May 05, 2014 12:21 pm

It turns out, both Smokey and Louie's urine was fine, no sign of anything bad in it. It also turns out that the dark-colored pee belongs to Louie, not Smokey.

I've got the pee you're looking for.
Imagecincodemayo2 by friend2kitties2011, on Flickr

I get blamed for everything. *sigh*
Imagecincodemayo3 by friend2kitties2011, on Flickr

A sample of the dark pee was sent to Memphis for further testing, but they didn't find anything. The vet said he just has dark pee, and the color was due to porphyrins, possibly from what he's eating (but there has been no change) and if I wanted to get another sample, they'd check Louie for diabetes. I'm going to hold off on that for a little bit. Have any of you had a pig just have a pee color change? It's so odd.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon May 05, 2014 1:25 pm

Yeah, Ouiser's did that, months before we started having stone issues. Not sure if they were related. She just always peed orange thereafter.

Piggywig

Post   » Mon May 05, 2014 2:09 pm

They didn't see any stones or sludge on either boy's X-ray. And, the only diet change there has been is smaller amounts of pellets, and less carrots. And they now get distilled water exclusively to drink. It's just so odd.

I just hope there is no pain involved for him. That's the most important thing.