Can I bond my 4 year old female with 2 younger female pigs

Minder

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:46 am

We had a pair of female piggies and one died about three months ago. I have been having a hard time finding a replacement for Minder's mate.
I have tried out adoption sources and shelters, however they either have males, very young ones or only pairs to give away.

Minder is 4 years old and she needs a friend. I am willing to take more than one pig, since we have an outdoor run (they come in at night) and they have enough room. I am just worried about her getting along with younger ones.

What is your experience in pairing an older pig with a new pair, especially younger ones? Does the pair team up against the single new piggy? Will an older pig not tolerate young ones at all? Will there be hierarchy issues, especially about food?

Thank you for your input.
Minder's Mom

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:08 am

There'll be initial dominance issues, until they work out who's going to be top pig. But introductions with females almost always work out -- it's very rare to have a sow that won't live with another pig.

Personality has far more to do with how well they'll get along than age.

If there's a guinea pig rescue near you, they might let you bring Minder in and let her choose her own new buddy.

Here's a good article on introductions. If you do it, choose a time when you're not rushed and can give several hours to it, if necessary: http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:38 pm

And the larger the space, the better!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:07 pm

Ditto the advice you have received.

Bear in mind if you look at a rescue's website and see only pairs available for adoption, that's because most reputable rescues will not adopt out a solo pig to live by him or herself, unless the circumstances are unusual. Most rescues, however, *will* adopt a single companion for an existing pig. Make sure the rescue(s) you're working with know you're looking for a companion, not a solo pig.

All that said, ditto the advice above. If you have room for three females, it can certainly work out very well.