Criteria for choosing a good home

Sunshine

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:37 pm

Ihave 2 possible 3 babies up for adoption in a few weeks. I want to make sure they go to good homes. The interested parties are all people we know, BUT, I need to be sure they'll treat and care for them right.

What things should I be asking, or that tehy should know to ensure good care.

Though these little guys are only 2 days old, I'm very fond of them, and want to gie them good homes.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:40 pm

There might be some information to give you ideas at www.cavyrescue.com

Sunshine

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:57 pm

I'll be sure to read through it!!

These are my babies too..lol...only the best!

gracielee
Me, too!

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:54 pm

Education, Education, Education.

Have them come over BEFORE taking the pigs, and look at your cage setup. Discuss cage cleaning, proper healthcare including nail trimming, vet visits, etc.

Show them how to pick up the pigs correctly, clean and disinfect all piggy supplies, and how to check the pigs for lumps and bumps.

Be sure they know that guinea pigs can live 5-7 years, are very social animals, etc.

Print out Lynx's basic care pamphlet.

Direct them to Teresa's site, www.cavyspirit.com, and the related sites on care and cages.

THEN, have them come over again in a week. Review all of the above. Then decide if they are the right home for you pigs.

I basically do all the above, have them fill out an application, talk to them over the phone, and schedule a visit.

Then I decide if they would be adequate owners for my all-time favorite pet, Grace. If they're not good enough for Grace, then no pig.

If they're good enough for her, they are good enough for any of the pigs and I let them adopt.

VMOUSE1970
Supporter in '05

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:23 pm

Sunshine, where are you located?

Sunny

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:35 pm

Stress the need for vitamin C. Make sure they understand how important this is for pigs. They are the only animal other than humans that can't manufacture their own vit C so it MUST be supplemented somehow. The best way is to give fresh veggies twice a day. Some will argue that the pellets have vit C, but that's not enough. They need around 20 mg vit C daily and most high-quality pellets only have around 8 mg.

Make sure they realize what's involved in adopting. Cost, time, commitment, responsibility (not a childs), etc.

The Cavy Spirit site has great information! Check it out.

Sunshine

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:27 pm

We're in Western Canada