Adoption Policies

LER

Post   » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:36 pm

Hi folks,
For those of you who do rescue, or work with a rescue, I wanted to pick your brains about adoption policies. I've come into GP rescue from working with a pure breed dog rescue group for a number of years (very strict policies, which I am comfortable with) and also from working at a Humane Society for a year (very lax policies, which made me uncomfortable)

On the approval process, besides the application and vet reference check, do you require a home visit or cage check? (To verify adequate housing for pig(s), observe behavior of children, observe behavior of other pets, observe condition of current pigs, etc.) What about personal references who can speak to the care of the applicant's pigs - do you ask for and check these, or no?

Once the adopter is approved and piggies picked out and ready to go:
1)What are your adoption fees (and what is your geographic area, I'm curious to see if this differs)? Are they less per pig when more than one piggie is adopted?
2)What do you send home with the adopted pigs? (Health Record book, pellets, hay, care sheets, noe of these, all of these, more, etc.)
3)What type of, if any, formal follow-up do you do with adopters?

Thanks so much for any and all replies!

Sunny

Post   » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:50 am

Hello LER,
I am in Salt Lake City and have been involved in piggy rescue for two or three years now.

1) Our adoption fee is $25. No discount for multiple pigs.

2) I send home a Guinea pig packet that includes: Guinea Lynx care pamphlet, https://www.guinealynx.info/pamphlet.html, a document I created on Frequently Asked Questions that covers health concerns, normal vs. abnormal behavior, etc. A "When to see a vet" sheet, a list of Guinea pig Experienced Utah vets, a list of internet resources, and a list high-vitamin C fruits/veggies, other fruits/veggies okay for pigs, and a list of "danger foods." Hmmm. I think that's it.

3) Follow up - I always send a thank you note, a week or so after the adoption and call or email my adopters regularly to see how the pig is settling in. Some adopters and I really hit it off and we still write/call eachother to chat about piggies even after a couple of years after the adoption.

As far as preliminary stuff... I have a Guinea pig education session that adopters are required to attend. It should take about 30 minutes, but for good adopters with lots of questions, it takes an hour or sometimes two. They have to provide proof of having an 8 square foot cage (or more) with either a photo or by going to their house, or by helping them get the supplies. I encourage them to bring as many family members as possible for the education session. I especially like meeting the kids to see how well they obey their parent and how they behave with the pigs. I LOVE the idea of a house visit for each adoption but I haven't done that to date.

Hope that helps!

Sunny

Post   » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:57 am

I forgot to mention...

The first part of preliminary screening for adopters new to Guinea pigs, is my "What's really involved in having a Guinea pig speech." I cover cost, time, and commitment in this speech. Many people think of pigs as low-cost, low maintenence pets and I dispel that myth right up front before going to the next step.

Also for follow up, I'll send past adopters interesting articles (like the one Teresa from Cavy Spirit wrote for Critters magazine). It gives my education session credibility when they see the same information in print.

I've even been known to send past adopters presents that I know they'll like. Like one adopter has a thing for Hello Kitty, I sent her cozies made out of Hello Kitty fabric. I just love to keep the dialog open and make sure their piggies are still on the top of their mind.

Allysse

Post   » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:05 pm

1) $35 single, $45 pair. Amount increases with every pig. JPGPR- MN. Discounts to people who have adopted from the JPGPR before.
2) the standard package is: 30 Day Money Back Guarantee, Lifelong Welcome Back Guarantee, 1 Pound Guinea Pig Food, A Small Bag of Bluegrass or Timothy Hay, A Sample Packet of Treats, Lots of Guinea Pig Care Information, Cavy Health Record Book, A Web Site You Can Visit for Information and Interesting Articles, Someone You Can Call With Questions, Someone Who Will Always Care About Your Guinea Pig.
3) I can only speak for my foster home on this one, but I usually follow up with a phone call soon after the adoption. If the adopter sends me emails on a regular basis (more than every six months) I don't call them. If they don't send me email or call I check up with them every 3-6 months although I haven't done this lately because I was comfortable with my placements. I send things through mail like cards, invitations to the MN pignic or other gatherings, updates etc.

Paisley

Post   » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:12 pm

LER,

Although I know this is very time consuming for you, I really liked how you came to visit with the pigs at my house. It was nice to have all the pigs and children interact and to see which pigs were best suited for our family, etc.

It was nice that the visit was not rushed, either. Those two hours were well spent as Gypsy, Breeze and Snowcap are getting along just fine. The children are thrilled with Breeze and Snowcap - one could not ask for nicer, friendlier pigs!

As far as adoption fees - when I adopted Paisley from the Mohawk Hudson River Humane Society in Menands in 2002, her adoption fee was $5. They've since raised their adoption fees for guinea pigs to $10 each.

If the person adopting is new to guinea pigs, it might be nice to give them a packet with basic guinea pig care information and links to Guinea Lynx and Cavy Cages, etc.

I hope this helps!

LER

Post   » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:35 am

Hi everyone, I really appreciate the replies.

Sunny, I am intriqued about your education sessions. Are these informal, arranged for each family, or are they something you have regularly scheduled that people can come to? Would you be willing to share your "script" if you have one? Or do you mostly do it from memory by now?

I find your responses very helpful, and hope some others will write in with their thoughts as well. Thanks again!

Pigglies

Post   » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:05 am

At OCCH we don't usually do home checks due to the amount of time that would take. However, if we suspect anything might be "off" then the guinea pigs will be brought to the home, and that will be the home check.

Adopters must build a cage or buy a cage from us that meets our requirements. Rarely has this been anything other than a C&C cage.

1. Adoption fees, $25 for a single and $40 for a pair here (Southern California, Orange County and Los Angeles areas).

2. Adopters can buy hay, pellets, bedding, etc. if they desire. They receive care information in advance via email.

3. Email follow ups.

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:31 am

Just want to add to what Pigglies mentioned. I pre-screen adopters. The first things I ask are:

1) Who are the guinea pigs for? Adult/Child (if child, what age?)

2) Where will the guinea pigs be kept? Outside/Inside (if inside, exact location?)

Then I write: Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. It will help me start a list of which guinea pigs might be right for your family

It's kind of a tricky screening tool. There is only one right answer to each question.

If they pass those two, then they can have an application. These are my generic "adoption instructions":

2) Read the educational material attached to this email and the links provided.

3) Decide whether or not you wish to make your own cage or have us make one for you.

Attached to this email you will find:

--The adoption inquiry form
--Our Care Sheet
--Our Cavy Care Schedule
--Our Shopping List

And here are the additional "must see" links:

The cages we use: http://www.cavycages.com

The emergency medical guide (MUST read!): https://www.guinealynx.info/emergencymedicalguide.html

The most comprehensive care guide:
https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

The veggie list (print and put on fridge): https://www.guinealynx.info/nutrition.html#order-c

Please bring a copy of the Care Sheet, Cavy Care Schedule, and Veggie List to the adoption.

Their application goes to two screening volunteers. I don't read the applications unless there is a problem the screeners are debating. The screeners suggest areas of education that could use work and point out any problem areas.

Then I discuss their response with the adopters, sending additional weblinks, answering questions, and weighing their responses. If I think they aren't fit I refer them to our surrender person, who tries to match them with a private home, and our shelter coordinator, who tells them about pigs on death row. I give them links to other rescues if it's a minimal problem like cage size, location of cage, etc. I try to give them as many non-pet store options as possible.

If they pass the process then they get to meet the pigs in which they are interested. If the adoption goes ahead they have to initial and sign this form as well as the contract:

http://nikspiggies.org/Checklist.doc

Yes, I AM a harda$$.

Allysse

Post   » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:25 pm

Charybdis- what is a Cavy Care Schedule? Like a place to write down when you fed the cavy? I would like to see an example of this.

Does anyone have a list of questions they would ask during a face to face interview?

Sunny

Post   » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:01 am

The education session is tailored for each family but I rely on notes so I don't forget anything. I was going to attach my notes to this post but couldn't find the file. They must be at home.

I've also done GP education classes at the rescue. I put up flyers at the rescue and around town that say:

"Thinking of getting a Guinea pig? Already have GPs but want to understand them better? Then join us for a GP education class at WA Rescue! We will also show you how to build large, inexpensive cages."

I get between 6-10 people each time. It doesn't seem like much but I believe that every person you educate has the potential of educating a dozen more. So every little bit helps.

Karen
Slug Whisperer

Post   » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:07 am

Hey Sunny, how's it going? Do yo still have Winnie? Tell him that his sister Abby sends her "wheek" regards.