Local SPCA has pigs on wire

grayrose

Post   » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:33 pm

I would rush right over and demand the pigs, but they are closed until tomorrow, and I am really over my capacity for rescues right now. But I did send an email explaining the dangers of keeping pigs in cages with wire floors. You can clearly see the wire in the upper photo, both at the top and bottom of the picture. The folks who run the place do fine for cats and dogs but are utterly clueless about pigs. They can't even sex them. Please take a minute and tell them to get those pigs off the wire before one of them loses a toe or worse.

http://www.geocities.com/pspcacentralco ... ofpigs.htm

Bonnie

Post   » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:44 pm

I don't see wire bottoms. Am I not looking in the right place?

grayrose

Post   » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:57 pm

In the top picture in the lower left and upper right. The pig is standing on some color shredded newspaper, but at the top, just to the right of the food bowl, which looks like it has Froot Loops in it, you can see the wire grid. Also directly underneath the green thing, probably a salt lick, more wire grid. Believe me, I've been in there. It's wire.

angelshelper81

Post   » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:01 pm

The pig in the second pic looks Exactly like my Chip. The fur is even going the same way.

Somebody go get him! I wish I could, but I have no room.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:07 pm

Take a few copies of the care pamphlet with you. And if they have an internet connection, point them to Cavy Cages. I know SPCA's can't afford much space but they should be able to get the right cages.

Bonnie

Post   » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:12 pm

Oh I see it now. Looks like they at leat put newspaper in there, but the pigs have chewed it some. I thought they looked like fruit loops too. Maybe you can take them a baggie of good food along with some care pamphlets?

Joanna

Post   » Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:49 pm

Even if they put some thick cardboard it would be an improvement. Unknown age and gender? Couldn't they get a book or something???

grayrose

Post   » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:17 pm

I just hope the two they have together aren't a brother and sister. I'll try to get in there first thing tomorrow and check them out. If it's bad, I'll just pay the fee and take them, but then I need to find homes for them ASAP, because I do not have room. So if you know someone in Pennsylvania, eastern Ohio, southern New York, western Maryland, who is looking for a pig....