Mom and 3 babies for adoption in Lebanon, NJ

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:29 pm

I found a retail source for Cavy Cuisine in Lebanon, NJ on Route 22 East and went there today to pick up a 50-pound bag. The store doesn't sell pets, only supplies, but will take in unwanted animals to rehome. Today they had a cage with a VERY young mom and her three adorable 6-day-old pups. I had a nice chat with both women who worked in the store and they were lamenting the fact that the poor pig had been turned in after being purchased pregnant from a pet store.

The store is easy to get to from Route 78, and it only took me about 40 minutes to get there from East Brunswick. I left the web addresses for Cavy Cages and this site with them, so hopefully they can pass the info along to their customers/prospective adopters, etc.

Anyway, here is the store info:

Country Pet Specialties
1271 Route 22 East (take the first entrance into Lebanon Plaza; they're just past the Post Office)
Lebanon, NJ, 08833
908-236-8292

[As an aside, the 50 pounds of pellets still cost me $50, the same price it would have been to get it shipped directly from Oxbow, but I realized too late that we were down to pellet dust and needed to restock!]

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:52 pm

Brimstone, don't you need to take a souvenier (or four) of NJ with you when you move??

Vitesse

Post   » Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:04 pm

If anybody can help these little ones, it would be great. Marci from Have-a-Heart is away this week and I can't take in four cavies.

Tamena

Post   » Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:06 pm

saw the little ones this afternoon when I went up to get feed.
Looks like 2 girls and a boy and they are adorable.
The girls are a red american and an abby tri color mix. The boar is a red /white american...very little white on him. Almost a crest spot on him.

Momma (Penny I think) is a red and white broken and she is PETITE!! tiny little thing not much bigger than the pups.
All are cute as all get out, very friendly and socialized nicely...lil jumpy for the pups but that's normal. Once I had em upright they were fine (imagine they didn't enjoy the gender check LOL)
We have no room for non-show animals atm unfortunately :(

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:37 pm

I remembered the mom being more buff than red, but yeah, she really is tiny. I didn't even want to try and sex them because I feared I would end up taking them home! I'm glad you were able to do so for them.

Just FYI, this is a very rescue-oriented board, and generally, we don't support showing/breeding of pigs. It seems you show your pigs, so I figured I'd give you a heads-up.

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:44 pm

Brimstone, don't you need to take a souvenier (or four) of NJ with you when you move??

But I already have a souvenier of NJ! My little Rocky is from Passaic. Your average, acting tough, but really a mama's boy, North Jersey guy. Slicked back hair and everything. When I first met him I swear he looked at me and said "How you doin'?"

Seriously, this is tempting, but just not fair to any of the animals given all the upheaval/stress in our lives right now. Let's see: lost my job, getting married, selling the house, boxing up everything we own and moving to a new house and another state - yeah, let's add 4 new animals to the household! I think our current 4 furry residents (2 cats, 2 pigs) would stage a mutiny!

Tamena

Post   » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:58 pm

momma's a really light red but she is a red
and all my animals except one(ALL meaning, 3 cats, 2 large dogs, 2 gerbils, 1 hamster, 2 birds and a rat along with the piggies) are rescues, my daughter shows in 4-H

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:06 am

Ah, that's good! She just shows show-quality rescued pigs then? I'm glad to hear there's no breeding going on.\

I'm still disappointed I can't get the Cavy Cuisine cheaper there! The drive wasn't bad, and the staff were friendly!

agatha

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:09 am

There's a pet class as well. That's what my daughter shows in.

Tamena

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:32 am

actually they are show quality....I was very lucky to stumble apon 3 beautiful animals
our champ boar died 3 weeks ago of pnuemonia, after 2 vet trips (2 different vets) and $150 spent. He died in my arms.
we have his grandson too tho and he's a beauty too, just not as "nice" as granddad

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:27 am

You rescued two generations of the same line? Wherever did you find them?

Tamena

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:48 am

the one I mentioned that's NOT a rescue is the grandson...Oreo. His grandad was the one that died a few weeks ago :(
Butter and Mongo are mom and daughter that were dropped at petco before Mongo was born. Mongo's brothers are happily getting fat at a friend of ours.
Izzy was a breeder sow at a petshop that had been put up for adoption cause she was past breeding age...either take her for free or she was going for snake food *shudder...she is THE sweetest pig!*
so officially it's 3 pigs that are rescued, 2 that were purchased from a very well respected and good breeder and only one of those is left now...he keeps Izzy company and she babies the heck out of him LOL
I hope that cleared things up a bit??
Also, as Sharon (the breeder) retires show animals we end up with a few of them...they're not good enough for ACBA shows but for
4-H they rock! So they end up here fat and happy till they pass on...well loved and spoiled rotten as they should be.
That way my daughter has excellent animals to show and like I said the retirees get spoiled :)